Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

What springs to get

Started by S-Kimo · 28 June 2012 · 19 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

S-KimoArchived member
Hey all I'm after some pics of peoples VL's with different height springs so i can decide what ones i should get for mine. That's an old photo of it, pretty sure they're standard height. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Jako-25Archived member
I have Kings Super Low in the Front, and Ultra Low in the back. Sits about 5mm higher in the rear. Check my thread if you want to know suspension specs. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
good thread idea. however i think theres a few of these around. someone should sticky the threads. should mention clear side on pics please. artistic angles etc don't really help in a thread like this Standard front kings super lows rear superlow king springs on 15 x 6"s and 205 65's same deal on 17x8"s +35 offset same deal 15 x 8.5 sits really well on 15"s fe2 on 15 x 6" calais rims. might sit a tad higher on the rear as it had stationwagon heavy duty shocks (towing) ---------- Post added 29-06-12 at 16:34 ---------- the vl sits about 10-20mm too low even on 17"s with the dump pipe. the fe2 was well above legal but non turbo ---------- Post added 29-06-12 at 17:01 ---------- king springs ultralows (reportedly with subs in boot weighing down rear) - King Springs SuperLows KYB Excel-G Shortened Shocks Nolathane Bearing Plates rims appear to be 17 or 18" vz ss. I'd guess 17" Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
S-KimoArchived member
Cheers for the photos, what do you reckon would look good with VYSS 18's but be able to travel on dirt roads, tow trailers and have a full carload of people without any scrubbing or anything?
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
towing / full carload / 2" larger than any stock wheel and no scrubbing? you need to jack that thing up. but seriously if you want the above you don't want low. you will be making a serious trade-off. I'd stick with fe2 or low for you. Maybe superlow if they are well maintained dirt roads. and you really want to push it. lets just say you won't pull a loaded trailer on a dirt road with potholes and you wont drive dirt roads with superlows at speed.
0 likes
Jako-25Archived member
Id just go lowered king springs, with maybe heavy duty ones in the back fot eh towing, or just not lower it at all....
0 likes
-pumba-Archived member
kingsprings ultralows but yeah obviously not gonna be any good for what you want, id say dont lower it or maybe fe2 ? Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
S-KimoArchived member
Sorry I probably should have said, when I tow I usually put the old 15" VR Clubby rims on. With stock springs, rolled guards and an adjustable pan-hard rod it still scrubs over big bumps. So I wouldn't be using the 18's for towing just the 15's. I only ever tow a single axle trailer with 2 motorbikes on it. King Spring Lows sound good with heavy duty ones in the back, but could i go lower or would that be pushing it?[COLOR="Silver"] ---------- Post added 02-07-12 at 00:50 ---------- There's a better photo of the current height which I assume is just the standard springs. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
RB30DEVLArchived member
I've found for the best ride & handling, the FE2 king springs (30mm lower than standard) are the best ones to get.
0 likes
S-KimoArchived member
Cheers mate, I think I will look into the FE2's, what shocks does everyone recommend?
0 likes
Jako-25Archived member
Monroe are the cheapest id say, but depends how much money you have, or willing to spend? ..
0 likes
-pumba-Archived member
could go some pump up shocks at the rear, when towing pump them right up.
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
pump up for towing are good. pretty well proven products. y dad has been using them since the 80's what do the bikes weigh? sounds like you could get away with almost superlow tbh but coupling towing a trailer and getting into areas where you would use dirt bikes probably means fe2 would be best (i' imagining ripped up country tracks more suited to 4wd's) i just use monroe's but bilstien would be the best going around if i had unlimited cash
0 likes
S-KimoArchived member
It's only a small trailer and the bikes weigh **** all, roads aren't too bad either, just need to take it easy. I got a speeding fine the other day for $280, they got me on a downhill going from a 80 zone into a 70 zone at 6am one morning, pricks! so that's set me back a bit, but I've decided to fix up the paint in the areas it's fading so might have to put off the springs for a bit! When I do them I'm still leaning towards the fe2's with heavy duty in the back as I do tow quite often, and the Monroe GT shockers. Cheers for all the input guys.
0 likes
*LOACH*Archived member
From what I have read on here the KYB shocks seem to have a better reputation than Monroes. Do a search and see what you think. They arent much more expensive either.
0 likes
FLY-03LArchived member
super extra custom low Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
do the springs you will love em. i should have done mine quicker on my calais. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
S-KimoArchived member
Yeah, I drove my old man to get some dinner the other night, he's like wow, this car has horrible suspension, anyway he said he would pay for new springs and shockers. So looks like i'll be doing the suspension! My mate works at repco and can get me discounted stuff from there so i think ill go for front+rear fe2 king springs, and either monroe or the KYB shocks. Does anyone know how much springs+shocks cost?
0 likes
priceysVLArchived member
i got quoted $580 for a set of front superlow springs, ultralow rear srpings, and lowered monroe shocks all round. This was at trade price but. There a kits all over ebay from around 6-700
0 likes
MxPx VLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by SIroller [View Post] King Springs SuperLows KYB Excel-G Shortened Shocks Nolathane Bearing Plates rims appear to be 17 or 18" vz ss. I'd guess 17" Yeah they're 17" VZ SS wheels from the ute Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 1 guest active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today1

12,662 threads, 100,372 posts and 1,281 images saved from CT

37.0% of indexed threads saved