Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
Hey guys,
As the title says, im doing a conversion at the moment and will be attempting to drop in the 304 from a VP calais into my vh sle project.
Ive bought a complete donor car which has kmac front strut tops and afew other goodies,
My plan was to drop the k-frame from the vp and bolt it into the vh, does anyone have any know how on what is needed and what will bolt straight in and what wont?
It also has HSV headers and ive read somewhere that if i use the vp k frame and steering rack that i can also use the headers, can anyone confirm this?
And also what steering parts will i need to keep from the vh?
thanks for any info guys!
0 likes
It can be done. Im doing a conversion on a VH with VS statesmans gear. You will need to sort out the steering interm staft. I used a VL shaft. If you are swapping k-frame, sturts, brakes, rack ect. Do the whole lot.
Strut top mounts are different.
You can go wrong with one of the wiring conversion harness. I don't know where my mate got his but saving hours is gold.
0 likes
Ok beautiful,
I've been told to use the steering rack from the vp that you have to use the lower control arms from a vh? And yeah the plan was to use most if not all from the vp is possible,
It has kmac strut tops on it too which I also heard they were interchangeable?
And how would I go about the auto shifter? Do I just use the one from the vp an make it fit?
0 likes
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffvh
[View Post]
Ok beautiful,
I've been told to use the steering rack from the vp that you have to use the lower control arms from a vh? And yeah the plan was to use most if not all from the vp is possible,
It has kmac strut tops on it too which I also heard they were interchangeable?
And how would I go about the auto shifter? Do I just use the one from the vp an make it fit?
Sorry, my bad. The VP strut top fits, I was using VS gear.
Using a B&M shifter. Also an aftermarket digi speedo due to late model trans.
Also, you're going to need to do one of the following:
1. relocate your battery to the right side of the bay or the boot
2. use a WB alternator bracket (mount under the p/s pump on the right side)
as the alternator will hit the battery tray
If you find something doesn't fit, go to your local wrecker with a messuring tape and the wrong part. You'll find something that fits without having to custom fabicate. This would have been a heap easier for me if it wasn't a 6 to V8 conversion at the same time. A VH 253 or 308 would be a 2-3 weeks after work job ( approx 15 slabs )
0 likes
I'm removing the battery and tray all together an relocating it to the boot, will it still hit with the tray removed?
0 likes
I used a VQ K-frame in mine. fit straight in and also used the VQ hsv headers.
I even kept the battery in its same location, just put a smaller belt on it. Apparently you can get pump relocater kits if need be.
0 likes
Ok to use the hsv headers what steering rack etc did you use? And did they foul on anything and how hard are they to remove once in?
0 likes
i used the vq steering rack. no clearance issues. youll need to lift the motor out to change them.
0 likes
What steering shaft did you use? And also what parts of the steering did you keep from the early girl?
0 likes
17-05-12, 12:03 GMT+10#10 vl power steer shaft shoukd work fine
0 likes
17-05-12, 12:28 GMT+10#11 Quote:
Originally Posted by YBJLS4
[View Post]
i used the vq steering rack. no clearance issues. youll need to lift the motor out to change them.
negative.the headers can be fitted last.i did it and had no dramas
0 likes
21-05-12, 16:16 GMT+10#12 if he wants to change it with something larger in say pacies he'll have to pop the motor out as I had f* all clearance
0 likes
21-05-12, 23:42 GMT+10#13 Correct but he said hsv headers
0 likes
07-06-12, 15:49 GMT+10#14 thanks for the info guys,will be pulling all the motor/ k frame out of the vp this weekend and seeing how i go,
does anyone know if the booster/master cylinder from the VP (arbs fitted) will fit into the vh? looks to be the same (obviously i dont want to fit the abs just the booster etc)
0 likes
28-08-12, 12:51 GMT+10#15 Anyone got any suggestions on whether the booster and master cylinder can fit into a vh?
0 likes
28-08-12, 22:18 GMT+10#16 im assuming ur talking about the booster out of the vp doner car? if so it should be a PBR 1inch master and dual diaphragm booster which will bolt strait up and for a neater look get a vl passenger side brake line instead of bending yours to fit. you will also need to use the vp strut mount bracket as the booster is larger and sits further out. that is all
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
30-08-12, 13:49 GMT+10#17 yeah VP booster into VH,
the only reason why i want to change it is that the vp is still in very good condition and the vh is rusted and paint is flaking off,
does it make any difference if the vp has ABS?
0 likes
03-09-12, 21:33 GMT+10#18 I believe the flaring on the ends of the brake lines where they go into the master cylinder might be different... You'll have to compare them first...
0 likes