Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
I recently had the very difficult job of replacing the fuel hose to the swirl pot in the fuel tank. As the original one had broken off the fuel return port on the tank. It lasted a limited time, and has now came off again. But this time, on the swirl pot. It has broken off leaving a piece of hose and the clamp on the swirl pot. The other piece is still connected to the fuel return.
Here is a pic of when I first replaced the hose.
Now, Im thinking of what to do next. Do I attempt to replace it again? One mistake I could of made was that I used just normal fuel hose and it may have degraded. I have since read that there is a submersable type fuel hose for this purpose. Should I get a piece of it and try again?
Could the swirl pot venturi jet be blocked causing the hose to burst?
Should I get a tank out of a VN - VS and put that in the VL instead? If I go this way can I still retain my low pressure intank pump and high pressure external pump? As the VN onwards just had an internal high pressure pump. Id like to keep it original if I could. Is it true that the VN - VS pump / sender unit had the fuel return as part of the unit.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
I reckon use the more fuel resistant hose and keep it OG.
- Must be hard trying to fit it in such limited space.
I'm surprised you took the pic of the swirl pot; i tried once but could not be bothered.
0 likes
Yeah, That's what Ill do I think. Get the proper hose and replace it again. And hopefully it will be alright this time.
But its a bugger of a job replacing it. Need time and patience to do it.
Here are the tools I used last time -
I was also looking at an 85lt long range tank on ebay. But the seller has not got back to me about freight costs. So yeah looks like ill be sticking with the standard tank.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
My swirl pot was pretty much was non existent after a year or so running E85, not to mention the complete disappearance of the hose connecting it to the return fuel line. Had no idea it was gone either, only found it because i swapped the tank for one that had no dents and saw it when i pulled my sender out.
0 likes
Yeah, ethanol will just eat all the internal filter rubbers away not to mention the hoses.
Hopefully after you replace this hose you'll be right.
0 likes