Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

RB30 N/A Best Oil Thread

Started by Jako-25 · 11 May 2012 · 12 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

Jako-25Archived member
Hey guys, searched and no results on CT. So my question is what oil do you use in your N/A RB30? ( Viscosity and brand ), and what is the best for each season/application etc etc. As well as oil filter? By recommendation Royal Purple is supposedly the way to go. But however our N/A 30s are 150,000klm+ so why bother using it? Personally Longevity and decreased motor wear and tear is the best answer for using this expensive oil? But Penrite, Castrol, Mobil, etc are all good too. To start i use Nulon street performance 15w-50, and just use a Ryco Oil filter. And change every 5,000klms. Love to hear the feedback and differences on which you guys use. For where i live, temperature can drop to -10 to -15 degrees C in the winter and can reach 30 degrees C + in the summer, so hence why i use 15w. As well my Calais is only my weekend cruiser, and is not my daily. Cheers Jackson ---------- Post added 12-05-12 at 00:05 ---------- Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
MSTR-VLArchived member
i use penrite hpr15, its a 15w-50 and it seems to like it...
0 likes
swiftmanArchived member
mine loves 15/40 gulf western! cant go wrong!
0 likes
russo187Archived member
I use Penrite HPR 30...20w-60...
0 likes
miladArchived member
hpr 30 or 40 whateva one they have at repco
0 likes
FLY-03LArchived member
canola or olive
0 likes
RB30DEVLArchived member
I was using Penrite HPR10W30 in my VL because an the guy at the auto store was an engine builder by trade and said because Nissan engines run tighter bearing clearances,they need a 10 weight oil, I think the engine is tighter all over than its predecessor (the 202) ,the manufacturer specs for the RB30 are a lot tighter than the old Holden six and I don't know why Holden specified 20W50 for the Nissan motor. The grade of oil Nissan recommend for an RB26 for example is a 7.5W30 but most people would go either way and select a 5 or 10 weight (I'd select the latter for where I live),a 5 weight is ideal for climates like Thredbo or Perisher where it the temperatures fall below zero. I've pulled my old (RB30E) engine down (was blowing a bit of smoke 8 years ago) and to bring it back to serviceable condition, it needs 0.020" oversized pistons & a rebore,but that block was in service for 16 years and has done about 500,000 kms. I think any reputable brand of oil would do, like I use Valvoline 10W30 in the LS1 motor in the VY as Holden recommend, I've read somewhere Chevrolet recommend 5W30 for the LS motors but I think that would only be suitable for colder climates. Then again, the engine in mine has at times been harder to crank over with the cold weather we've had, I'm unsure if it's the battery (low cell gravity in a couple or frozen acid) ,worn starter motor brushes or tight engine (tighter tolerances when cold),it starts up o.k. when warm and the battery old its deep charge well. Despite having about 264,000 kms on the LS1 motor,stuff like manifold vacuum sits at 21inHG at idle (engines in good condition) and all the fuel trim readings are sitting at 0% after resetting the ECU and replacing an o2 sensor, it's like as if my cars got a new motor in it.
0 likes
Duke57TTArchived member
Dude, completely non-sensical. You could cut 5 of the 6 paragraphs out and make more sense.
0 likes
NukzArchived member
lmao I love this guys posts
0 likes
BaxArchived member
Less is more DEVL. Less IS MORE! I used whatever was on special, 10-40 or something like that. Didn't lose any kw's. Didn't gain any when I put good stuff in either, was a waste of money spending extra.
0 likes
Jako-25Archived member
Guys why are we talking about the LS range, keep to the N/A 30s please.
0 likes
Duke57TTArchived member
To be honest, it doesn't matter if it is a turbo 30 or not. Quote: Originally Posted by Jako-25 [View Post] Guys why are we talking about the LS range, keep to the N/A 30s please.
0 likes
ekulArchived member
If i use cheaper oil ill change it every 5000 and if i use more expensive oil i change it at 8000. End of the day changing oil takes 5-10 minutes. not hard to do every 5000km and costs stuff all. Honestly could not see stuff all difference between using a 10-40 15-40 10-50. It already has 150,000k+ on it.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 0 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today5

14,848 threads, 137,631 posts and 1,574 images saved from CT

43.4% of indexed threads saved