Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
Hey guys just got my calais today and it cranked one or twice after a few turns of the key but now wont at all, is there some sort of alarm or something? It's like it's not even trying to start... Checked all relays and fuses
0 likes
Have you checked if getting power at netural start relay , and at starter
0 likes
Starter had a poor connection, cranks now.
Set the timing as someone had just thrown a dizzy in. Replaced dizzy, leads and plugs from my old running vl as well as AFM. Old plugs were really black and under the rocker cover the rockers are the cleanest I have ever seen however I can smell petrol under the oil cap and when I try to start it just pops and farts under cranking but wont run on its own. I'm fearing piston rings :/ if anyone has any other ideas? Could it be leaky injectors? I'll swap my fuel rail and intake plenum with all it's gadgets over tomorrow and hope for the best I guess....
Edit: also replaced coil, intake piping and pcv hoses, the old intake piping had a pool of liquid in it (petrol)?
0 likes
Try compression test then go from there
0 likes
Tried swapping injectors, fuel rail and cold side, not a happy rb30 Compression test will be done after uni, if there is low compression should I do an engine swap or just swap the head? or valves?
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Depends on results get after dry n wet compression test
0 likes
change fuel and plugs and off u go
0 likes
It's got fresh 98 in it and as above I've already done plugs, just bought myself a compression tester and when I get home I'll post up the results. Public transport in the country is a joke!
---------- Post added 07-05-12 at 16:20 ----------
Doing a compression test, pull out plug number 4 and it's absolutely covered in oil, stuck a bit of tube into the cylinder and it came out soaked.. seems like pistons rings to me? Would Can piston rings be done with the engine in the car? If not it looks like it's time for an engine swap
EDIT: Well I'm completely retarded, after shooting rp7 into the throttle body and having it backfire and burn my armhairs off I called my friendly neighbourhood mechanic and he advised me that my distributor was 180 degrees out, sure enough, first turn of the key and she lives, for the first time in years, a bit smelly and no torque at the moment but I'm sure that'll pick up with a good service
0 likes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab dH
[View Post]
Starter had a poor connection, cranks now.
Set the timing as someone had just thrown a dizzy in. Replaced dizzy, leads and plugs from my old running vl as well as AFM. Old plugs were really black and under the rocker cover the rockers are the cleanest I have ever seen however I can smell petrol under the oil cap and when I try to start it just pops and farts under cranking but wont run on its own. I'm fearing piston rings :/ if anyone has any other ideas? Could it be leaky injectors? I'll swap my fuel rail and intake plenum with all it's gadgets over tomorrow and hope for the best I guess....
Edit: also replaced coil, intake piping and pcv hoses, the old intake piping had a pool of liquid in it (petrol)?
So i'm guessing when the dizzy was thrown in this was when it got put in 180 out , still dont explain the oil in no4 chamber . would recommend doing the compression test still.
0 likes
07-05-12, 19:09 GMT+10#10 Did a compression test, was pretty much even across all 6 cylinders 135 dry 150 wet with the exception of 4 which was 150 wet and I couldn't do dry.
0 likes
07-05-12, 19:41 GMT+10#11 Results seem good , now it running take it out for a hiding to burn off any oil and fuel in it , then give it a bit of service change oil in case any excess oil or fuel got in during all the issues it's had
0 likes
07-05-12, 20:23 GMT+10#12 Gave it a hiding then, it has no torque at all haha like foot to the floor or close enough to it it'll barely take off, in neutral the highest I can get it to rev to is around 4000, seems a little funny.. I'm gonna bring my k and n fuel filter and pierburg intank pump across from my old VL in case it's fuel related.. any other ideas? Thanks heaps for your help too dude! Might bring the exhaust cat and extractors over as well
Also the drivers side wheel feels like it's not done up properly which is hell scary checked wheel studs and all good, something is not right with the suspension though
0 likes
08-05-12, 14:45 GMT+10#13 Wheel bearing is probably loose making it feel like wheel not done up , n possibly the intank hose that links pump to fuel pipe could be eaten cause lack of fuel hence no go
0 likes
10-05-12, 14:46 GMT+10#14 Swapped computers and it runs awesome now, but I think there might be something wrong with the neutral safety switch or something because it isn't cranking again, got it running by using jumper leads on the starter but if I try and turn the key I get nothing except the brake light on the dash lighting up
0 likes
10-05-12, 19:59 GMT+10#15 Try bridging the purple wires at netural relay by battery to see if it cause of no cranking , and that weird how ecu stopped it running to full power
---------- Post added 10-05-12 at 19:29 ----------
would have thought if ecu was faulty it wouldnt run at all
0 likes
10-05-12, 21:48 GMT+10#16 It was showing TPS error codes but I knew the TPS was good, might have just been certain things corroded in there, I dunno...
Bridge the purple wires eh? On it now
Bridging those wires worked a treat, I swapped replays just to check and it's not the relay's fault, where does the other end go on the auto? I'll do a continuity test on the wires from the gearbox end
0 likes
11-05-12, 14:07 GMT+10#17 ive got the same problem. not getting any power at the starter motor. no cranking or anything. doing my head in.
0 likes
11-05-12, 15:34 GMT+10#18 ****kk what a **** day, pulled the front guards off and drilled the old broken bolts, tried to extract the first one and snapped the extractor then tried to weld a bit of metal to the end of the extractor and ended up welding the extractor into the ****ing car. Replaced the front wheel bearing too and that wasn't the problem with the steering.. will have to have a closer look at it tomorrow, really hating this car right now and my own stupidity for that matter
/rant
0 likes
11-05-12, 20:19 GMT+10#19 Quote:
Originally Posted by NinoVlt
[View Post]
ive got the same problem. not getting any power at the starter motor. no cranking or anything. doing my head in.
The purple trigger wire gets power straight from key via the netural start relay , so if getting power at the starter purple wire but not starting the starter could be shoot
0 likes
14-05-12, 18:28 GMT+10#20 Just a tip ... check fuse 10 or 11 I can't remember now and if it looks good swap it anyway will fix having no reverse lights and no neutral start relay lol
0 likes