02-05-12, 19:46 GMT+10#1
Hi guys.
I've done this twice now and thought I'd share how simple this is.
First up - what you need
1 long phillips head screwdriver
1 short or "stubby" phillips head screwdriver
1 pair pliers
1 jewelers flathead screwdriver (or something else like a kebab stick / tweezers will do.)
First thing you need to take off your dash cluster cover as per these threads -
How to remove your dash by VLDUDE03 (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=19257)
how to reassemble your dash with pictures by BluJet (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=205046)
When you get the cluster surround off you will see there are 4 bolts (2 either side) which will require your stubby to undo. Be careful these white mounts tend to be super brittle and crack.
Next there are 3 things you have to unplug. 1 - the harness for the warning lights across the top of the cluster. 2 - the main wiring harness 3 - the speedo sender.
This is the reverse of the dash but I've highlighted what needs to be unplugged
Now you should have the cluster out. sorry to bay everyone along but we should be thorough here.
Unplug the wiring harness for the speedo unit and unscrew the 2 main bolts. The main bolts will allow the speedo unit to be removed and the harness (as I've learned) is always good to undo at this time so you don't find yourself wondering whats holding the speedo in later. (Stubby phillips head)
OK, with the dash still upside down remove the warning light strip across the front. There are 5 screws. they are shorter than the 2 from earlier so set them aside.
The positions of the screws are shown below, they need to be unscrewed from behind however this is a front on view.
Next we just have to remove the clear front screen. There are 8 screws located as such -
These are the same size as the 5 from earlier so no worries mixing them up.
From here your speedo unit should lift out. There is a plastic strip in between the speedo and clock cover but that just slides out.
As you can see many km's
Now lets have a look at the backside of this baby!
In the picture above the circled bit is a speedo cog. This is what normally causes speedos to stop recording km's they get brittle and get huge cracks through them (or even hairline)
The yellow lined bits are cogs on a long metal piece. When you have it apart you will see that these turn the numbers and also hold the numbers in position.
Now we have covered the broken km's but lets move onto resetting your dash to 0km.
Its pretty fiddle but don't give up. grab your pliers and start tugging on one end of the metal thing the cogs are on. YOU DON'T HAVE TO PULL IT ALL THE WAY OUT!!! Just enough to get the metal out of one side so you can lever the cogs out of the numbers and just spin the numbers around. You can pull the cogs and metal all of the way out but its stupid hard to put it back together. (Just fiddly.)
Get the km's where you want them, put the metal and cogs back in place and reverse everything above to get it all back in place!
Now some optionals, I usually attempt to "restore" the cluster unit while I'm at it. this really just involves some soapy water, some clean water and some rags. Maybe even some plastic polish for the screen. You get the idea here. Dust off everything and then polish up any scratches on the screen. I've just been using normal polish however I bet some of those headlight restoring kits they are making now for plastic headlamps would work a treat!.
I hope you found this easy to follow / helpful
SIRoller / Mitcham
---------- Post added 02-05-12 at 20:13 ----------
Sick great to see this approved. BTW I'm doing this because I'm putting in a new VLC dash to replace my Berlina dash.
Disclaimer - WINDING BACK KM'S AND ADVERTISING FOR SALE AT A LOWER THAN TRUE KM IS FRAUDULENT AND ILLEGAL.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
