Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

Tie rod replacement on VX Commodore

Started by RB30DEVL · 22 Apr 2012 · 0 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

RB30DEVLArchived member
I was wondering if anybody has had any trouble removing the tie rods on their VX Commodore? I was helping my dad work on his this weekend and the threads were unusually tight, to the point that even with heat they stripped the threads on the rack end of the tie rod,luckily the threads are intact in the rack though we can't fit the new tie rods, they need to be tapped out with a thread tap. What I found is SUM KNUCKLEHEAD (whoever builds & supplies the racks to Holden) staked the thread in place (bruised the outer female part of the thread) so that when the tie rods were removed it was going to strip the threads, why the hell did they do THAT for ??? The car used to be owned by the RAAF and my dad bought it at around 50,000 kms 10 years ago (It's a 2000 model) but it's done around 280,000 kms now. I didn't have that problem when I rebuilt the second hand rack (from a VTII) for my VY, only somebody had tampered with the tie rods and I thought the hydraulic crossover pipes should have O rings in them (this rack didn't have any) like they did in the rack I rebuilt for my VL, so I put them in. It would be interesting to see if they have done that to the original rack which came out of my car !!!
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 0 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today108

10,828 threads, 79,125 posts and 984 images saved from CT

31.6% of indexed threads saved