Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
I have a 200,000km old turbo from a VL RB30ET (assuming hasn't ever been rebuilt)
I have found 3 cracks around the wastegate port on the exhaust housing.
This means it has to be welded up and be used external gate only.
Also has some minor shaft play up and down, more so in exhaust side.
now
Is it worth anything?, can it be sold for $50 to someone who wants a stock turbo with external gate?
Pictures tomorrow.
Thanks
0 likes
the cracks are nothing to worry about, unless they are excessively big, same deal with the shaft play
0 likes
the crack goes all the way around inside the housing.
hope to get pics today
0 likes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates
[View Post]
I have found 3 cracks around the wastegate port on the exhaust housing.
This means it has to be welded up and be used external gate only.
Thanks
Does it boost any different. I was thinking, once it heats up won't the cracks expand & you'll loose boost pressure. I think. Does the boost spike or drop??
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
I've never used it
Bought engine like this
Wastegate flap is missing, didn't come with dump pipe.
I'm told if it gets welded and i fix the internal gate the cracks will eventually open again and and boost control will be ****house. So i was told i can weld the hole closed fully and use external gate.
I want to buy a new turbo cause its too much money to get this rebuilt and fixed with either kinds of wastegate.
0 likes
All I'm wanting to know is if i can sell this turbo for anything or is it for the bin?
Pics:
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
mine is like that n I have never had a problem
0 likes
yeah those cracks are common mate, mine had some cracks like that adn didnt have any problems, still going strong to this day on a mates car. it will be fine
0 likes
can someone post a pic of the standard wastegate setup?
cause i'm told it's done in the part that bolts on the back of the turbo.
I'm missing this.
How much engine HP are these capable?
I've been told around 300.
0 likes
09-04-12, 01:05 GMT+10#10 Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates
[View Post]
can someone post a pic of the standard wastegate setup?
cause i'm told it's done in the part that bolts on the back of the turbo.
I'm missing this.
.
Photo's of a standard T3 turbo??
0 likes
09-04-12, 03:47 GMT+10#11 yeah just the back of it so i can see how the wastegate actuator connects to the flap? (which i dont have)
0 likes
09-04-12, 12:42 GMT+10#12 Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates
[View Post]
yeah just the back of it so i can see how the wastegate actuator connects to the flap? (which i dont have)
Ahh schat, either do I. All I have is the T3 turbo with a actuator arm hanging loose.
0 likes
09-04-12, 17:28 GMT+10#13 thanks dude
anyone else can take picture?
still wondering the approximate power the standard turbo can support.
0 likes