Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

Best diff ratio for an N/A

Started by VLT222 · 26 Mar 2012 · 10 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

VLT222Archived member
Hey guys, so I just got my first vl this weekend and I was fully aware that it needed a new diff. Now just some history, I bought a vl of a mate who bought a mint calais with a sh!t diff, so he swapped the diff is his red n/a vl (now my vl) and put it in his calais. The diff is a 3.45 lsd with 28 spline axcels, it has a loud clunking noise between gears, Just wondering if the whole diff needs replacing or just the centre housing? Also what would be a preferred ratio for an N/A 4.11's??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated..
0 likes
swifty!Archived member
I had 4.11s in my VN. Was so much fun. Id chirp/spin on almost every gear change with a standard v6... If i was going 100, the speedo showed about 160 i think, so not so good on the fuel.
0 likes
FelanyArchived member
3.7 are a good ratio if you want better acceleration without revving too high on highway's like 4.11's do.
0 likes
WOGPSIArchived member
id just stick to 3.45 for a daily n/a
0 likes
tha donArchived member
I would say 4.11 is way too high for a daily, but some people don't worry about petrol. As mentioned above, 3.7 is a good ratio if you're looking for something a little bit better than stock, however the difference is negligable at best. Given that its an n/a daily, there's nothing better for you than the stock 3.45, it'll be the cheapest, most economical, and most hassle free option.
0 likes
calais25tArchived member
4.11, fuel consumption is up yes but if want a mod that gives faster acceration its the cheapest and eaiest imo. you will lose top end not that it matters in an na lol
0 likes
MurphArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by tha don [View Post] I would say 4.11 is way too high for a daily, but some people don't worry about petrol. As mentioned above, 3.7 is a good ratio if you're looking for something a little bit better than stock, however the difference is negligable at best. Given that its an n/a daily, there's nothing better for you than the stock 3.45, it'll be the cheapest, most economical, and most hassle free option. Agreed. Better than a 3.08 in response and not a petrol guzzler like a 4.11. It's a good all rounder.
0 likes
Ceptor86Archived member
4.11, fuel consumption is up yes but if want a mod that gives faster acceration its the cheapest and eaiest imo. you will lose top end not that it matters in an na lol Definitely, worth doing in my opinion! I've got em in my wagon, it pulls heaps harder now. The only thing that most people won't tell ya is to correct your speedo you'll need to get yourself a ratio box put in, bout 2-4 hundred depending on wear you go. That will also fix your odometer so it doesn't tick over faster than normal. As for high revving on the freeway mine sits just over 2grand. That doesn't bother me but some people it might. And I couldnt see 3.7's or 3.9's giving you the bang for your buck that you would probly expect. Just my 2 cents anyways. I'm sure not all will agree.
0 likes
RB30DEVLArchived member
When I had my VL on the road (mind you I had the twin cam engine going which is more powerful & torquey than an RB30E) I found the 3.45:1 diff ratio suited me, that is with a 5 speed manual, that makes a difference as to how much power gets to the back wheels too, the manuals go better in my opinion and is the first thing I'd fit into an auto VL if wanting more power, which is what I did. I couldn't say without driving either a VL with these other ratios fitted or an R31 Skyline that the 3.7:1 ratio would be better , I've heard the Skylines had better acceleration than the VL's because of this (a little marketing trick used by Nissan to sell more cars). You could try the 3.9:1 ratio used in the automatic R31 Skyline & manual Pintara. 4.11:1, a bit too low for a 3 litre I think, the automatic R31 Pintaras & RB20E powered VL's in NZ used this diff ratio, someone over there fitted an Rb25DET to one of them and said he put the 3.45:1 diff in because the 4.11:1 was way too low for an RB25DET even. The engine would be revving its guts out when it doesn't have to and I've heard you'd be able to pull off in 3rd gear with the 3 litre if you ran that ratio.
0 likes
TUXEDOArchived member
lol.. R33 Skylines have RB25DET's from factory with 4.11:1 diff ratio. Back on topic; 3.89:1 would be an ideal upgrade. Just think about it, R31's which have the same engine and transmission have the 3.89:1 ratio.
0 likes
KALAYArchived member
3.9 i was happy with...
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 1 guest active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today14

16,737 threads, 167,477 posts and 1,894 images saved from CT

48.9% of indexed threads saved