Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

Starter Motor Wont Crank.

Started by VLCT88 · 25 Mar 2012 · 9 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

VLCT88Archived member
I had a full hidden wiring job on my body loom and a new engine loom made for my haltech ecu as well as an autometer dash and a few other bits before I went overseas about a year or so ago. Im back from overseas now and have my VL back from the workshop where I had some stuff done while I was gone. I have now started putting it all back together and running all the wiring etc. After running and connecting up all the wiring I hooked up a battery to see if everything is working. Everything seems to be working as far as accessories go (demister, headlights, reverse lights, stereo, alarm, central locking, power windows, turbo timer etc). But when I try and turn the engine over the fuel pumps are priming but the starter motor isnt doing anything or making a noise. Just wondering if anyone has any idea what the problem may be?
0 likes
boosted_wagonArchived member
Is the purple wire on the starter on the rite pin on the starter??? Check to see if that has power to it when u have the ignition on the start position if it isn't then may be a fuse or relays
0 likes
VLCT88Archived member
Thanks for your help mate, any idea which side the purple wire is supposed to be on so I can check it when I get home from work (eg. closest to trans or closest to the front of the car)
0 likes
boosted_wagonArchived member
nah its the one closest to the bonnet its the upper most terminal......my starter set up doesnt run the standard loom so if u still have standard loom then thats not going to be an issue.....just check anyway
0 likes
VLCT88Archived member
I had stef from 12 Volt customs make up a new engine loom for my haltech and he also did a full hidden wiring kit. I did notice that the big grey plug that goes on the starter now only has 1 wire going to it (pretty sure its purple from memory) so will have a suss which pin it plugs into when I get home ---------- Post added 26-03-12 at 19:52 ---------- There doesnt appear to be a purple wire... the only wires is the big power cable from the battery secured with the nut and post on the starter motor, the red and black spade terminals for the solenoid and a brown wire which connects via the big grey plug. For some reason the auto electrician has deleted the other wire that goes to the big grey plug. If I get a screw driver and arc it from the red spade terminal to the nut and post that the power cable mounts to it turns over...
0 likes
PSI086Archived member
Purple wire should run straight from the key to the grey plug which goes on the starter. The other wire in that plug is the cranking signal for the factory ecu which aftermarket ecu's don't require
0 likes
VLCT88Archived member
Well after tracing the wire I used a test light on both sides where the alarm had been spliced in and both sides of the neutral safety switch and there was power at all of these spots when turning the key. I tried testing at the starter when turning the key but there was no power there. I had an old relay lying around so just thought it would remove the new one the auto electrician put into the loom and replace it with the one I had lying around and now its turning over so all it must have been was a ****y relay.
0 likes
SL1987Archived member
maybe your best bet is to give stef @ 12volt a quick ring and explain to him whats happening
0 likes
vlct_747Archived member
im having the same issue i have power at the grey plug with acc and when i turn key to on potion there 12v readings on the multimeter so i took stater motor out put power to it and it seems to work but when i bolt it back up to the car and turn the key nothing happens could this be a earth problem?
0 likes
PSI086Archived member
Have you got an earth wire from the engine to the chassis? They usually won't crank without one fitted
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 0 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today31

20,464 threads, 241,196 posts and 2,526 images saved from CT

59.8% of indexed threads saved