Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

Reasons u have decided to stay N/A

Started by Turismo · 6 Mar 2012 · 18 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

TurismoArchived member
Board.. I'm a long time reader of CT n it's helped me out so much I should be paying all you guys for advice. thanks any ways. Iv owned 7 N/As 1 wich was a genuine vl calais turbo nothing but trouble. Iv wanted to go turbo but in being responsable n never taking out loans n living out of home has ment I can't do any thing the cheap or dodgy way I want to go turbo 1 day in a big way But for now am happy in N/A vls I choose to stay N/A because I know them well, turbos can be money pits if not done properly. Awesome too mods to try n squeeze 1 more kw out of them can be fun (mate made a wooden air box once worked well stayed cool lol) Iv never been one for speed on the road Iv nearly kills some one (not my fault) but the feeling wakes u the F&$K up. Just love the shape n design ATM I own 2 88 VL Calais and a custom bt1 all N/A love em. Any way just though I'd put up y I love them.
0 likes
aus880Archived member
glad to hear you're happy with n/a's, there's nothing wrong with them so many people on here spend countless $ and time on turboing to end up with countless problems created
0 likes
Bro_SpeedArchived member
Im only N/A because im on P plates. A VL just isnt complete without an intercooled turbo.
0 likes
MSTR-VLArchived member
A vl is complete when the owner is happy with it and is comtemp with it's final outcome, whether it be completely original or putting out 300+kw or whatever. Nothing wrong with an n/a.
0 likes
tzatzikiArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by MSTR-VL [View Post] A vl is complete when the owner is happy with it and is comtemp with it's final outcome, whether it be completely original or putting out 300+kw or whatever. Nothing wrong with an n/a. i agree with mstr vl
0 likes
FATPSIArchived member
keeping my daily na so i dont have to worry about epa's, defects etc
0 likes
88 ChaserArchived member
I used to thrash the utter hell out of my old N/A, one day it wouldnt start, cleaned the plugs she fired into life, then died, fouled plugs in 2 minutes at idle. Left it sitting there for 4 weeks, turned the key and it was good as new again. Had that been the turbo'ed one it would have cost a fortune. N/A certainly have their place.
0 likes
NA-jetArchived member
130 rwkw makes me stay N/A and im happy with the resaults. Have not had a real long drive in her for a long time and im itching to do it andsee if she still goes like a bat out of hell. The motor is fairly new done about 25,000km in about 4 years and before you ask i have 4 cars in the drive and the vl always sits at the back so it rarely sees the road. But the rest of her has seen about 306,000km and can handle the extra power very well. Loving the extremely low note that pours out the exhaust, iim yet to hear the same sound from another vl.
0 likes
TUXEDOArchived member
looooooool
0 likes
Jako-25Archived member
I've stayed N/A because the faggoty laws say i cant drive a turbo'd car.
0 likes
MdubzzArchived member
I decided to keep my Vl N/A because i wanted it original.. I have owned a Berlina in which I was going to turbo, then i bought a Series 200, in which only 600 produced in 88'. That was my reasoning, despite the fact im on my Probationary Licence.
0 likes
R33PSIArchived member
I Love N/a's Nothing wrong with custom intakes with correct sized inlet runners , Exhaust with correct back pressure , Large Port work, Valves Done, Cam and Ignition Changed, Rods length changed same as the pistons and Wallaaa you have you'r self a respectable Rb30 at it's finest ---------- Post added 07-03-12 at 21:37 ---------- Not too many N/a Motors with half decent power can sing on the spot for over 8 minutes in first (Auto) only to blow a small amount of oil back thru the airpod - Motor 260,00 Tho on the clock too ---------- Post added 07-03-12 at 21:42 ---------- And Mdubzz I have a full set of Series 200 Badges Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
goldArchived member
Cause I was a poor **** apprentice panel beater hahaha but now I have a Calais turbo so it all good, still love my n/a gold VL though
0 likes
THCArchived member
i stayed N/a as i was worryed id blow the sh!t out of the na motor lol . but seems i have saved inaff cash, i now have a vl berlina turbo and a vl calais witch is in my garage ,with everything off waitting for a turbo to be bolted up ect . after driving a vlt , Non turbo isnt really fun anymore haha . nothing beats that spooling up .... im about to take off feeling . btw had my calais from when i was 14) , im now 21
0 likes
AnfyzArchived member
I'm staying N/A until I buy a house. then once thats sorted I'll go all out and make my calais a weapon! I do put aside a small amount for little mods and general upkeep though but nothing major till then!
0 likes
TurismoArchived member
That's the amazing thing about vls there such a good project car for all ages, You can spend as little or as much as you want. There what ever you want them to be theres mor to a vl than just a turbo. they inspire us to dream big N teach us so much about how things work about have to save n how to spend n not spend lol. But at the end of the day there an Aussie icon and I cans imagine what we'd be like with out them lol
0 likes
R33PSIArchived member
I loved VLs since i was a kid. I'm now following Nissan more so the Holden these days, Hard to beat a price on a cheap r32 turbo for a cheap track car Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
RB30DEVLArchived member
When I had my VL on the road (it has an RB30DE in it) I went that way for a few different reasons , here they are :- - Insurance for a VL turbo is expensive for even a person over the age of 25 - Finding an insurance company to insure the car would be very hard (I wanted to go RB30DET) and very expensive if I did go down that path. - It would be a very expensive build for me (probably $10,000 to build such an engine). - On top of that, I'd get the car engineered to make sure my ass is covered, that also costs a lot of money. - There's also other things to strengthen , I'd need to go away from the MF5 and go to an MX7 gearbox, go from a single spinner 25 spline 2 pinion diff to a 28 spline 4 pinion LSD ,that is extra money on top of that. I figured I was better off going the way I did and keeping the RB30E transmission & diff plus it was insured as an N/A VL anyway and I was happy with its performance, rather to wait and get a car which already had all the power,etc that I want, that's why I've got the VY SS Commodore. It's cheaper to insure & run than the VL turbo I was looking at building and probably wouldn't put out all that much more power anyway, it also has a newer body than the VL.
0 likes
VLT222Archived member
Ive had my vl for about 6-7 months but only been driving more recently since I got my P's. I drove my brothers vl turbo a little bit while on my L's and don't me wrong I loved it, now that I have my own N/A the topic of boosting it always seems to come up (once i get my full license). But so do other things like insurance, petrol, theft and general problems that you don't get with an N/A. So I think ill keep it N/A until I get sick of it... Just my 2 cents...
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 0 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today5

15,436 threads, 144,732 posts and 1,661 images saved from CT

45.1% of indexed threads saved