Preserved from CalaisTurbo (partial recovery). Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
Hi Everyone
Just got an SL Turbo. It is only good for its running gear because the body is very rusty. Which is all I want because I want to transfer everything across into my N/A VL SL.
Complete car, Has correct A8 engine number and is factory original. And has I think an LSD Diff. It has the red / brown fill plug in it. It does need rebuilding as it will only just turn both wheels the same direction when turning one by hand. And if the other wheel is stopped, the other can still be turned. Like an open diff. Does anyone know what else to look for in a Turbo LSD Diff to identify it as being genuine? Tha number on the tag is 92029314
Another problem is the gearbox, which is manual. But someone has put in a Non turbo MF5 box. Which has got me thinking weather it still has the turbo clutch, flywheel, and sandwich plate. Is it possible to put an MF5 on a Turbo flywheel and clutch? or would they have changed that to Non turbo when they changed the box? It also has N/A driveshaft which I expected.
It also has an exchange ECU in it. Whats the identifying numbers of a Turbo ECU. Bit concerned, as it only has "VL 3.0 Manual" written on it. Which makes me think its an N/A ECU.
What is the best way to go getting a replacement gearbox. Are the MX7's getting hard to obtain and what cost. Or is it better to get an R33 box?
Thanks for any help.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
If u running a turbo don't waste ur time with an mf5 box r33 gearbox im pretty sure is stronger than the mx7 I suppose it just comes down to how much u want to spend
0 likes
been running an MF5 for 10 months now, no issues
0 likes
According to this thread http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=21047
Your diff looks like a genuine 28 spline Turbo Sedan Diff.
Listed as Non LSD but it's not always 100% correct.
0 likes
Give us the Vin numbers & we'll see if it's genuine. On the ecu case it's usually says 3TA, 3TM or 52 , 53.
0 likes
Here they are.
A spare ECU with the car has 52 on it
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
That's a very early turbo car you have there, one of the first built. Chances are it won't have FE2 suspension as a lot that early didn't. I own AVL013958A and AVL014027A and both of those don't have FE2.
92029314 is a standard turbo diff but who knows why it has the brown plug.
ECU for a turbo manual should read 52 or 3TM.
Any chance you could post up a pic of the rear of the car ? I'm trying to work out when Holden changed the small bootlid Holden badges for large ones and as your car was built only a few days after mine it'd solve the problem.
Thanks.
0 likes
The bootlid has the large badge. And correct, it does not have FE2. This is the best rear shot I have ATM. I only snapped a few pics with my phone. As you can see, the car has seen better days.
Another pic showing the extent of the rust
And the rear section around the boot seal, and under parcel shelf is pretty well rotted out as well. It also has heaps of bog filler in the roof and rear quarter. so I say its been rolled once in its life
Someone has also tried to mock it up into a Berlina. They put Berlina seats in, and blacked out the window frames.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
27-02-12, 18:53 GMT+10#10 Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD_WoG
[View Post]
been running an MF5 for 10 months now, no issues
same my vl ran an mf5 on 15-18 psi for a long time
0 likes
27-02-12, 19:06 GMT+10#11 But it does not really matter about this car because all I need is the turbo gear. All of the required parts are going into this -
---------- Post added 27-02-12 at 20:55 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87VLSL
[View Post]
Another problem is the gearbox, which is manual. But someone has put in a Non turbo MF5 box. Which has got me thinking weather it still has the turbo clutch, flywheel, and sandwich plate. Is it possible to put an MF5 on a Turbo flywheel and clutch? or would they have changed that to Non turbo when they changed the box?
Well, I figure they would have had to change to a non turbo flywheel and clutch, sandwich plate? from what I have read since. So if I wanted to put an MX7 back. I would have to get a flywheel, starter, sandwich plate and clutch.
If I got an R33 box, I would not have to worry about changing these parts - Correct? How hard is it to get a good R33 box? And if it needs rebuilding, how hard is it to get parts for them compared to an MX7.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
27-02-12, 20:06 GMT+10#12 Quote:
Originally Posted by 87VLSL
[View Post]
Here they are.
A spare ECU with the car has 52 on it
I can hardly read the vin. What does it say??
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
27-02-12, 20:12 GMT+10#14 Quote:
Originally Posted by 87VLSL
[View Post]
8k198f L215220L
Your car is a Holden SL/Executive Commodore Sedan
From the factory it was equipped with the Turbocharged Nissan 3L RB30ET producing 150kw at the flywheel.
It was produced in 1986 at the Adelaide plant with a serial number of 15220
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
27-02-12, 20:20 GMT+10#15 Thanks for the help so far guys.
If anyone can suggest what I should do about the gearbox please post up. As thats the main problem I have at the moment.
0 likes
27-02-12, 20:30 GMT+10#16 The MF5 has single ring syncros while the MX7 has twin ring syncros on 2nd and 3rd gear, which means they take a bit more punishment, before they cry "enough!"
Picture difference's
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=233265
0 likes
28-02-12, 09:18 GMT+10#17 Quote:
Originally Posted by 87VLSL
[View Post]
The bootlid has the large badge. And correct, it does not have FE2. This is the best rear shot I have ATM. I only snapped a few pics with my phone. As you can see, the car has seen better days.
And the rear section around the boot seal, and under parcel shelf is pretty well rotted out as well. It also has heaps of bog filler in the roof and rear quarter. so I say its been rolled once in its life
Someone has also tried to mock it up into a Berlina. They put Berlina seats in, and blacked out the window frames.
Thanks for that. Originally I was going to say you'd be better off restoring an original turbo car than pulling the motor out to put it in yet another n/a conversion, but after looking at that I think you're on the right track. What a lot of work and money that one would be to get right.
Can you confirm what the AVL****** number is on that car ? It looks like AVL014208A ? Just that I have AVL013525A confirmed with the small badge and my cars fall between that one and yours. These cars must have been in the same week they changed the badges over.
0 likes
28-02-12, 14:22 GMT+10#18 Interesting stuff here.... If only we could have a time capsule.
0 likes
28-02-12, 18:44 GMT+10#19 Quote:
Originally Posted by VLTWhite1
[View Post]
Can you confirm what the AVL****** number is on that car ? It looks like AVL014208A ? Just that I have AVL013525A confirmed with the small badge and my cars fall between that one and yours. These cars must have been in the same week they changed the badges over.
Yes it is AVL014208A
0 likes
04-03-12, 18:05 GMT+10#20 Took the motor and box out of the car today -
The small MF5 Gearbox
How do you tell a Non turbo starter from a turbo one. Just that this one looks original. The alternator is also a Hitachi unit, and both look the same age
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes