Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
HI guys,
let me be upfront and say im a complete novice at the moment but am trying to learn my car so I can do all my own repairs.
recently started getting a knocking when accelerating (particularly when cornering and accelerating) consulted with a couple of mates and bloke at my local repco..
Diagnosis came back as center bearing being shot, guy at repco sold me a bearing (bough some other gear at the time and didnt really look at the bearing box. When I did it says wheel bearing.... Not sure if thats what I need or not but it forms part of my questions for those of you out there with experience in this matter.
A: do I have the right part?
and B: provided that this is the right part can I get any assistance (in terms of advice) on how I go about replacing it?
I cant afford to get myself a set of workshop manuals .. at least not if they are at the prices I have seen skimming through this site and google..
ive had a look under the car and can see that there is a torn rubber flange on what looks to be the center bearing but I cant figure how to replace it as yet so any tips or past experiences would be appreciated..
thanks in advance to all who help.
17 VIEWS and no one has offered any advice? surely the problem has been encountered before? Hasnt anyone replaced the center bearing on the drive shaft?
0 likes
sorry i thought you ment clutch bearing ha.
0 likes
Hey just done this on my car its not to hard of a job I'm no mechanic I just have basic knowledge of how it works.
1, Jack up the rear of the car and make sure to put axel stands under it.
2, Unbolt the tail shaft from the diff, make sure you make a mark on the tailshaft and the diff so when you go to put it back together its in the right place, if not it wont be balanced right.
3, Remove support bar where the bearing sits under from the chassis, be careful in doing this the tailshaft is heavy better to have someone else with you makes things easier.
4, Remove the Tailshaft from the transmission just give it a good pull and it should slide right out now be sure to have a container from where you have removed it from the transmission sometimes you might get a leak, now just take it out from under the car.
5, Take the metal cupling surrounding the rubber around bearing just slips off. Remove the allen key bolts from the larger part of the tailshaft this will split the tailshaft, this will be packed with grease.
6, Now that the tailshaft is split in 2 the quickest way of getting the new bearing on is to take it down to your mechanic or anywhere that has a hydraulic bearing puller and pay them $20 to remove the old one and put the new one on. Take it from me it will be the best $20 you spent.
7, Now just do the reverse.
It also helps to take pictures of what your doing so you can look back and see if things have gone back together right.
Also go to Youtube they have heaps off information about replacing the centre bearing.
If I have forgotten anything I'm sure someone will pick up on it.
Cheers.
0 likes