Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

Considering a V8 for my drift car

Started by 180drifta · 23 Feb 2012 · 11 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

180driftaArchived member
Hey guys I have a 180sx which im doing up as a drift car, suspension is all set up, next is the engine. ATM it has around 180rwkw as its fairly stock but i have about 6K so spend on it. option 1: get bigger turbo, injectors and computer + tune and it will get around 250RWKW which is a decent amount of power and that will use up the 6K option 2: V8? if i go down this path it means I can sell the sr20 thats in the car now and should get 2k for it no probs, which will then give me around 8k for the V8. SO, can I get say an ls1, ecu, adapters, engine mounts and a engineers cert that puts out at least 250rwkws for this price? I can install myself but will need the wiring done and a tune done. obviously there are other things to take into acount like exhaused and prob a whole heap of other things i dont even know about, but I'm hoping you guys can give me some good advice. One more thing, dont hate me cuz I drive a rice burner, I'm still a holden man, just 180's are great to slide, Id love to hear a v8 roar while im doing it. cheers, Shane
0 likes
InjectionArchived member
I think you'd be struggling to get an ls1 up and running with exhaust, wiring, tune etc for that money. Sounds like a great idea but the dudes doing these conversions in early commodores seem to be spending a lot more than that.
0 likes
vltrb-0Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Injection [View Post] I think you'd be struggling to get an ls1 up and running with exhaust, wiring, tune etc for that money. Sounds like a great idea but the dudes doing these conversions in early commodores seem to be spending a lot more than that. if you do all the work yourself you'll do it for that price easy forget any engine mods to start with too you'd be close enough to 250rwkw to not bother and it will be reliable as hell and cheap to replace if something does go wrong
0 likes
180driftaArchived member
YEah that's what I was thinking, instead of putting heaps of stress on a fully moded sr20 a fairly stock ls1 could give me plenty of power and be nice and reliable.
0 likes
vltrb-0Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by 180drifta [View Post] YEah that's what I was thinking, instead of putting heaps of stress on a fully moded sr20 a fairly stock ls1 could give me plenty of power and be nice and reliable. replacement ls1's are $1200 complete or botchy rebuild em for a drift meet at $14 a piston where an sr20 is upwards of 1500 if you can find a good one and parts to rebuild are expensive ls1 is full alloy as well, and not all that much heavier than an sr20
0 likes
mulkersArchived member
The conversion is cheap if you can find a cheap wreck or complete set up to begin with. If you do the work yourself, you'll have change from 8k.
0 likes
xAsh-Archived member
What gearbox is going behind it?
0 likes
sik208Archived member
a guy in adelaide here, has a black r33 with a 6.0 litre, making mid 330rwkw its crazy
0 likes
TUXEDOArchived member
Yeah that would be Shane (RB2530 is his ct user name) but it made 310rwKw. xAsh- I'd say the T56 6 speed would be the obvious choice of box..
0 likes
7FOUR7Archived member
if you can afford a little extra go the 6L, my mates ls1 with the same mods as my l76 (otr full exhaust n tune) makes 30rwhp less but the difference in the tourque is the biggest thing, mine eats his on the hiway. 264rwkw from a stocker aint bad..
0 likes
7FOUR7Archived member
Ps, I raced him when I had 280rwhp and he had 330 on the same dyno when I munched him so theres a big difference torque wise
0 likes
injv8LEArchived member
mate of mine has a 200sx with 6.0l and 6 speed in and has never looked back
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 0 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today109

11,530 threads, 87,483 posts and 1,153 images saved from CT

33.7% of indexed threads saved