Preserved from CalaisTurbo (partial recovery). Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
ive got my vl makin 328rwkw on pump fuel..but want more was told i need better fuel i am after a few opinions on e85 weather or not its worth the trouble...any suggestions would be appresiated
0 likes
a vast number of cars are using it so it must be a good switch to e85.
ive heard you can make up to about 50 rwkw more than pump fuel and its also cheaper than pump fuel by about 20-30 cents i think.
somebody who has used it might be able to give you a bit more information.
0 likes
If you have it easiy accessable at the pump, id make the switch tomorrow. Upgrade fuel system and tune is all you need.
0 likes
thanks guys its cheaper than pump fuel but ive been told you use alot more than you would on pump fuel??
0 likes
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMHBT1
[View Post]
a vast number of cars are using it so it must be a good switch to e85.
ive heard you can make up to about 50 rwkw more than pump fuel and its also cheaper than pump fuel by about 20-30 cents i think.
somebody who has used it might be able to give you a bit more information.
When you burn 30% more fuel the cost saving is debateable.
If you're going to do it then buy the drum E85 as it's consistent. Pump E85 could be 85% ethanol one month, 70% the next... it's inconsistent. If you're making 328rwkw at the moment then you're pushing the engine so I wouldn't be risking it with an inconsistent quality of fuel.
Drum = Good.
0 likes
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROGMH
[View Post]
When you burn 30% more fuel the cost saving is debateable.
If you're going to do it then buy the drum E85 as it's consistent. Pump E85 could be 85% ethanol one month, 70% the next... it's inconsistent. If you're making 328rwkw at the moment then you're pushing the engine so I wouldn't be risking it with an inconsistent quality of fuel.
Drum = Good.
thanks heaps bud much appresiated
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
thanks heaps bud much appresiated
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
I very much doubt the pump stuff alters that much
I'm guessing it's never near 85% and prob stays around 70-75% all year
Drum stuff is consistant and 85% but it's near 2x the price of pump
I make 700hp+ on the pump stuff
Will be pushing this setup a little more than also do a tune on drum ethanol (e90-98) on a built 3lt
Changing the fuel system is costly tho if done right
Teflon lines, good reg, bigger injectors, bigger pumps ect
0 likes
United's E85 doesn't vary at all, I have been testing it each batch I have brought, caltex's flex does however, it apparently Vary's between 70 and 85, I have not seen any over 75% as yet?? United's a bit higher than 85% as well.
0 likes
19-02-12, 19:10 GMT+10#10 Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyVK
[View Post]
I very much doubt the pump stuff alters that much
I'm guessing it's never near 85% and prob stays around 70-75% all year
Drum stuff is consistant and 85% but it's near 2x the price of pump
I make 700hp+ on the pump stuff
Will be pushing this setup a little more than also do a tune on drum ethanol (e90-98) on a built 3lt
Changing the fuel system is costly tho if done right
Teflon lines, good reg, bigger injectors, bigger pumps ect
It's well documented that E85 varies from as low as 70% ethanol to above 85% while the remaining 15% fuel is a low quality 91 octane.
Check out the independent testing or even the fuel company's own websites.
Personally I wouldn't push that kind of power on something that isn't always consistent but if it's working for you at the moment then go for it.
0 likes
19-02-12, 19:30 GMT+10#11 To be safe, have a GM flex fuel sender wired in to your ECU ( if it supports it, eg: Vipec, Motec etc) and a compensation map.
Therefore, you can run pump 98 and E85-E0 as you refill the tank and still have a fuel and ignition compensated map that is 100% safe.
This is how OEM's do it on their flex fuel cars.
0 likes
19-02-12, 19:39 GMT+10#12 I've now done a heap of work with E85 fuel systems and using Eflex is safe as houses, you just need to come back a little on the edge of the tune timing wise.
As the petrol component increases, so does the mixture in richness so really its just a case of octane dropping. The proportions though is little so it doesn't drop that much.
If your prepared to leave a bit on the table Eflex is perfect for day to day use and the cost is in your favour. The gains to be had are more than worth it.
If your shooting for a 300hp/L engine then yeah buy drum for consistency. If your doing a 300-400rwkw streeter its easy.
0 likes
19-02-12, 20:00 GMT+10#13 I haven't seen any eflex that has tested at 85% or above
Everything I've seen so far, it has been between 70-80%
More to the 70% side
I've read on a forum somewhere that a person from caltex has actually said that they don't mix it to 85% yet as its not being used a lot yet
I wouldn't be taking pump eflex over 800-850rwhp
Anything in the range or more and I'd want at least 85% mixed with good fuel
My built motor will run on sucrogen or my own mix of e90-e98 when getting right up it
0 likes
19-02-12, 20:08 GMT+10#14 Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyVK
[View Post]
I haven't seen any eflex that has tested at 85% or above
Everything I've seen so far, it has been between 70-80%
More to the 70% side
I've read on a forum somewhere that a person from caltex has actually said that they don't mix it to 85% yet as its not being used a lot yet
I wouldn't be taking pump eflex over 800-850rwhp
Anything in the range or more and I'd want at least 85% mixed with good fuel
My built motor will run on sucrogen or my own mix of e90-e98 when getting right up it
there is a massive difference between say united's E85 and caltex's bio e-flex
caltex says themselves it can vary depending on winter or summer conditions, everything i've seen from hoppers united is just that E85
0 likes
19-02-12, 20:25 GMT+10#15 Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyVK
[View Post]
I wouldn't be taking pump eflex over 800-850rwhp
Anything in the range or more and I'd want at least 85% mixed with good fuel
My built motor will run on sucrogen or my own mix of e90-e98 when getting right up it
I would do 850rwhp on pump.. on a big cube engine. Horses for courses. It comes down to what the fuel can support per cubic inch at those levels.
E90-E98.. why not just run Meth and be done with it.
0 likes
19-02-12, 20:52 GMT+10#16 Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke57TT
[View Post]
I would do 850rwhp on pump.. on a big cube engine. Horses for courses. It comes down to what the fuel can support per cubic inch at those levels.
E90-E98.. why not just run Meth and be done with it.
if they had meth on the pump done, but **** no imagine a meth fire lol, ****s rolling around like in Talladega Nights screaming help me baby jesus, help me tom cruise
0 likes
20-02-12, 09:28 GMT+10#17 I would just wear a race suit all the time like a gangsta
0 likes
21-02-12, 10:28 GMT+10#18 Quote:
Originally Posted by vltrb-0
[View Post]
there is a massive difference between say united's E85 and caltex's bio e-flex
caltex says themselves it can vary depending on winter or summer conditions, everything i've seen from hoppers united is just that E85
Along with the ethanol source. United apparently made from Sugar cane, which from my limited studying is the best source of ethanol and the Bio E-Flex stuff apparently using any ingredient (beer by product, wheat, sugar and corn etc) that can churn ethanol as a whole.
What this leads to is the quality and properties of the ethanol greatly varies.
0 likes
21-02-12, 10:35 GMT+10#19 Quote:
Originally Posted by AVL012345
[View Post]
Along with the ethanol source. United apparently made from Sugar cane, which from my limited studying is the best source of ethanol and the Bio E-Flex stuff apparently using any ingredient (beer by product, wheat, sugar and corn etc) that can churn ethanol as a whole.
What this leads to is the quality and properties of the ethanol greatly varies.
i wouldn't put bio eflex in my lawn mower
other option to be safe with e85 although a pain is after you fill test it
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
21-02-12, 17:55 GMT+10#20 Quote:
Originally Posted by vltrb-0
[View Post]
there is a massive difference between say united's E85 and caltex's bio e-flex
caltex says themselves it can vary depending on winter or summer conditions, everything i've seen from hoppers united is just that E85
As said above, E-flex and United's E85 are two totally different fuel's, I tested united's tonight when filling up the car. I tested Hoppers as 89%, the one on boundary rd as below is approx 91-92%
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes