Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

Conversion-RB30 to turbo

Started by SLEper · 13 Jan 2012 · 6 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

SLEperArchived member
I am currently in the process of converting from RB30 to turbo setup. I did do a search and struggled finding the info. I know a few things that vary between the two but thought this thread could help me and others who are doing the same conversion or looking at doing it. My first questions would be when doing the gearbox swap from standard RB30 5 speed to the MX7. What is compatible? I have noticed the sandwhich plate is different between RB30 and RB30t. The clutch splines are the same but I dont think the standard clutch will take the boost. Does the RB30 have a smaller clutch compard to the RB30t? Are the RB30 flywheels different to RB30t? Are the RB30 starter motors different to RB30t? My other questions are about the fuel tank. I am assuming the turbo fuel pumps are higher output. Is there a difference in the fuel tank itself? Has the turbo got an in built surge pot or baffled tank or are they the same as the RB30 tanks. Any info would be helpful and feel free to add any sort of info if you were to carry out this conversion eg engine A6 to A8, wiring harnesses, tailshafts etc etc.
0 likes
Wkd_VlArchived member
the n/a or mf5 gearbox has a 9/5inch flywheel . where the turbo/mx7 has a 10inch flywheel.so you will need to use turbo gearbox/turbo fly wheel together and clutch to.all the other manual bits. tailshaft.gearbox mount. are same from na to turbo fuel tank and fuel pumps are the same. so dont get sucked in someone trying to sell you a vl turbo fuel pump
0 likes
TUXEDOArchived member
Gear box, flywheel, clutch, tailshaft yoke, starter motor and speedo cable are different between MF5 (N/A manual) and MX7 (turbo manual). Fuel pumps and tanks are identical.
0 likes
SLEperArchived member
No worries. That helps alot. Are there any other bits and pieces I might need to know about?
0 likes
Wkd_VlArchived member
might be worth while when your changing over the bits, to change the spigot bush
0 likes
SLEperArchived member
Yeah thats on the cards. Thanks. I have two inlet manifolds. N/A and turbo. I have heard some people using the N/A lower half of the inlet manifold on turbo applications. Is there a benefit to this and what is it or is it better to just use the complete turbo inlet manifold. I can visably see the runner lengths are different which I believe can effect torque so is it an advantage or disadvantage to use this or does it depend on the application.
0 likes
TUXEDOArchived member
use the turbo one
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 1 guest active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today32

20,469 threads, 241,327 posts and 2,526 images saved from CT

59.8% of indexed threads saved