Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

What would you pay for this VL?

Started by CalaisME · 30 Dec 2011 · 33 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

CalaisMEArchived member
Hey Guys, First real post for me..... Trying to get back into a VL after 15 years. My VL was stolen in Brighton Sydney about 15 years ago, it was a SII 1987 Burgundy Calais (I'll try and find some pics of the old girl and post). I'm looking to buy this VL in SA http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...d=turbo|CarAll (http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/holden-calais-1986-11010875?cr=13&vertical=Car&Range=Price:Min,Max~1&page=1&eapi=2&silo=Stock&sort=Price&VNAV=A&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294965857%204294965739&distance=25&find=turbo|CarAll) I have been out of the game for such a long time now not sure what its worth. Would love feedback on what CT members think this is worth, thanks in advance. CAR HAS BEEN SOLD, missed out apparently.... For the record I offered him $9k. Thanks to everyone who provided feedback, much appreciated.
0 likes
HTURBOArchived member
Yep, nice & clean with low km's. I'd reckon it would be worth 12g's. Especially with that stereo install.
0 likes
aus880Archived member
Worth 6k maybe, s1 nothing special 12k he's dreaming
0 likes
ilegalfunArchived member
no way 12k....maybe 5-6
0 likes
88 ChaserArchived member
Definitely worth more than 5-6k, maybe not quite 12k, but I would think 10k would be a pretty good pick up, if you really like it 12k isnt too much in my opinion. It looks pretty cool, big stereo, engine bay look ok, looks like its been looked after and had money spent on it.
0 likes
deanoVLCTArchived member
series 1, if it was me if offer 7k minus stereo gear, i think hes kidding at 12k
0 likes
[T]MattyArchived member
im with Chaser here.. clean near stock nice VLCT "s2" or not they are getting harder to find now days.
0 likes
YetiArchived member
I'd pay 10-11K for that. Apart from those door trims it looks in good nick and is clean. Russ won't pay anymore than 6K for any VLT that isn't OG!
0 likes
CalaisMEArchived member
Thanks for the feedback so far guys, keep em comin... Some interesting opinions. I wish I had this resource back in the day, I would of saved heaps of cash + time...excellent forum. Yeti, can you please elaborate regarding the door trims, not sure what you mean?????
0 likes
vltrb-0Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Yeti [View Post] I'd pay 10-11K for that. Apart from those door trims it looks in good nick and is clean. Russ won't pay anymore than 6K for any VLT that isn't OG! i think 8.5k on face value is a good buy even without the stereo as long as all the tags match up for colour, trans etc keep in mind this thing is in SA so its even rarer again, might be worth 9.5k over there
0 likes
VLforcedArchived member
stereo is gay. so I take that into no account. I would pay 8 - 9k
0 likes
YetiArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by CalaisME [View Post] Thanks for the feedback so far guys, keep em comin... Some interesting opinions. I wish I had this resource back in the day, I would of saved heaps of cash + time...excellent forum. Yeti, can you please elaborate regarding the door trims, not sure what you mean????? The door trims are the only thing you would really have to replace to make it original again. Thing's like the stereo and intercooler can be removed fairly easily, the door trims lower section would have to be replaced. I think people are really undervaluing the market of clean VLT's. Yes they are a 25 year old car but finding clean examples with few modifications is getting rarer and rarer. The owner of this car will no doubt think that stereo set up makes it work more but as VLT enthusiasts, we all know that not to be the case. He would find it easier to sell if he removed the boot set up and sold it separately. I would pay up to 11k for it if he drove a hard bargain but I think you could get it for 10k with everything. Remove all the door door crap and make yourself back some cash.
0 likes
VLforcedArchived member
Yeah the door trims are the worst part... Overall the car is gorgeous. I love straight gold Calais'.
0 likes
patchArchived member
correct me if im wrong, but isnt that a series 2 dash in it...?
0 likes
vltrb-0Archived member
yeh your right patch, and the grill is s2 as well head rests are s1 and you can't just put them into s2 seats as the pin centres are different few little things that wreck it from complete og
0 likes
UND_CVRArchived member
definately worth atleast $10-11k this site is full and i mean absolutely FULL of centrelink members with no money to spend. i bet if you asked everyone that tells you its worth $5-6k how much they would sell it for if they owned the car they would have the same asking price $12k
0 likes
SIrollerArchived member
i purchased my vlt s/w for 5 no reg or roady. i thibnk this is easily worth 8 with no stereo. if i was selling my wagon i'd ask 12 aswell so i think the "ask" price is reasonable. what he is willing to move down to would be 10 minimum in my eyes. I'd rip the stereo out and replace the doortrims / boot carpet then you'd have a mint car. nothing to be done except personal styling so yeah i'd pay 10-12 if it is what i was after
0 likes
TUXEDOArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by vltrb-0 [View Post] yeh your right patch, and the grill is s2 as well head rests are s1 and you can't just put them into s2 seats as the pin centres are different few little things that wreck it from complete og What are you on about "s2 grill"? All Calais' had the same grill.. Also different changes were released at different times throughout the VL period, so the dash cluster could possibly be factory fitted. And with the seats, they are 100% "s1" as with the door trims, which could easily be restored to original condition by removing the modified lower section and refitting the dark brown carpet section with map pockets. It looks to be a very tidy example. VL's are hard to sell in SA.
0 likes
3ltr VLArchived member
it looks pretty mint mate, the only thing i would change is the door trims, the boot install is something differant and personal taste, it has reasonably low k's and the interior looks pretty mint. all these things show that it must have been looked after fairly well, id say around 8-10k
0 likes
FLY-03LArchived member
5 or 6 grand, are we looking at the same car?! Youre joking. Ive been offered 7 for my car. An inspection would be needed but it looks very neat. Not many original VLCT left like that in such condition! its 25 years old. Id pay around 8 thousand for it give or take
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 1 guest active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today111

12,301 threads, 95,914 posts and 1,255 images saved from CT

35.9% of indexed threads saved