Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
what oil is best for ls1 engines,
i have a vt clubsport 5.7litre and was curious on what oil i should get,
some say, 5w-30 others 10w-30
it does however say on the oil cap suitable SAE 10w-30 has anyone else found
anything better, and does kms have a major part in deciding whether thicker or thinner oil...
what would u recomend??
0 likes
what says on the cap man that's only for when the engine was brand new from factory with 0k's on it.
I've got the same car and i use Nulon 15w-40 Full Synthetic, and iv found mine run smoother on idol and mine had a ticking sound when 1st started when it was cold, since putting the new oil in there's been no ticking or any sign of noises.
When i was at Auto-Barn i asked about the Penrite and the guy helping me said there isn't much difference as the two brands are very competitive with each other. only real difference is the price between the two.
Ppl will say all types and different oils to use, you just got to try them till you find the right one you find is best for your car.
0 likes
I always use mobil 1 in 5w30, most others will 'burn'
0 likes
you will find alot of people use the "castrol edge sport 10w 60"
0 likes
I use the Nulon 10w-40 for day to day driving and a 10w-60 for track work. If the engine is getting a little tired you can move up to the 20w-50.
0 likes
nulon gold i have alos used which i think was good! brett LSX garage uses Castrol magnatec aswell
0 likes
ive had 2 LS1's and both had the usual noises ls's make out of the top end, changed oil to the nulon 10w/40 synthetic and never looked back the difference was crazy, only standard cars tho apart from usual (exhaust, intake, tune) but daily driven and punished a bit lol
0 likes
02-11-11, 11:56 GMT+10#10 ive used 15w40 is the go for a hard working ls1 or sin 10w70 if you wanna put some decent gear in it.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
02-11-11, 12:30 GMT+10#11 Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoVLCT
[View Post]
you will find alot of people use the "castrol edge sport 10w 60"
Yeah I use this
0 likes
03-12-11, 09:39 GMT+10#13 I put in the same oil as the Holden dealer in Newcastle which is the Valvoline 10W30 , which is the grade Holden recommends for that engine , I buy it locally from Autopro as it comes in a 6 litre bottle which completely fills the engine with oil and I've had no problems with it in that regard, it doesn't use any oil.
I think even Ford use this oil in their cars as well , I sometimes ignore the recommendation of the manufacturer because a bloke I was speaking to at Autopro a few years ago was an engine reconditioner by trade and used to work for Holden .
Well, Holden recommended 20W50 oil for the RB30 in the VL but he recommended going for a 10W50 in that engine because they use tighter bearing clearances , etc than they did with say the old 202.
0 likes