Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

vl missing

Started by t3calais · 31 Oct 2011 · 2 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

t3calaisArchived member
hey all ive just bought a vl turbo it is a genuine a8 and am having problems with it missing on boost. have replaced the spark plugs,leads,oxy sensor which was stuffed anyway but the problem is still there. then i replaced the fuel filter and it ran better but still had a slight hesitation everynow and then. i checked timing and advanced it to about 25 on the marks and now it seems 2 run sweet. and the air/fuel gauge runs where it is supposed to. would appreciate any help cause i know something is wrong. it is a stock a8 with a highflow, cooler and exhaust. cheers
0 likes
RB30DEVLArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by t3calais [View Post] hey all ive just bought a vl turbo it is a genuine a8 and am having problems with it missing on boost. have replaced the spark plugs,leads,oxy sensor which was stuffed anyway but the problem is still there. then i replaced the fuel filter and it ran better but still had a slight hesitation everynow and then. i checked timing and advanced it to about 25 on the marks and now it seems 2 run sweet. and the air/fuel gauge runs where it is supposed to. would appreciate any help cause i know something is wrong. it is a stock a8 with a highflow, cooler and exhaust. cheers Well, it could be a whole range of things ,like lately my VY SS Commodore has this habit of developing a misfire in heavy traffic, I found 2 possible causes of this problem :- 1 - I was getting grass clippings stuck in my fuel pump when buying the fuel at the Caltex Woolworths , I was running the 98 Vortex fuel , now I run Shell V power. 2- I figured I better give the plugs a clean to possibly eliminate the problem , they have done 60,000 kms , Holden recommends changing them at 80,000 kms for the LS1. Both of these things seemed to temporarily fix the problem, I have ordered some new spark plugs for it (genuine) as I think I have narrowed the problem down to that because the engine picked up heaps more power after doing that , but I think at least 1 plug is still faulty. I had an issue with detonation on the way home from work from the central coast as I was going through Warnervale and I was hoping it wasn't a clutch or transmission problem, so I am sure there is a problem with the ignition system , the plugs don't seem to be getting the right voltage at the electrodes under heavy load. As for the VL's ,well I can name 3 other things :- Air leaks in the intake , faulty TPS and faulty AFM.
0 likes
t3calaisArchived member
thanks mate. i closed the plug gaps down and it seemed 2 fix the problem. appreciate it though
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 1 guest active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today5

15,182 threads, 142,354 posts and 1,621 images saved from CT

44.3% of indexed threads saved