Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›VL Commodore
VL Commodore

What size exhaust system

Started by super_sla · 11 Oct 2011 · 26 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

super_slaArchived member
Hi, I just bought a vl commodore and want to know what size straight pipe system should I get, 2.5 or 3 inch, I want the car to sounds RB ish, my friend has a 2.5 inch and it sounds a little bit like a RB but I see allot of vl's sounds like skylines, how do I make mine sound like that.
0 likes
[T]MattyArchived member
with a turbo.. 2.5 is the max you would even want to go on an NA, 2 1/4 is the best.
0 likes
BaxArchived member
Agreed. Stick with 2�
0 likes
super_slaArchived member
Ok thanks, straight pipe or normal which is better.
0 likes
NZ EVLHSVArchived member
3" straight will give you the best homo sound on the street
0 likes
super_slaArchived member
No wonder my friends sounds like a bogan vb commodore lol.
0 likes
BaxArchived member
Normal will do, I wouldn't pay to get Mandrel on an n/a.
0 likes
super_slaArchived member
I just want mine to sounds like a skyline thats it
0 likes
NZ EVLHSVArchived member
Unless you turbo it the only sound your going to get is the sound of a dying cow. Stick to the stock exhaust and spend your hard earned money on something else
0 likes
Danny_BoyArchived member
extractors and 2 1/4 catback..
0 likes
FAQFPVArchived member
3 1/2inch will be perfect for that skyline sound ---------- Post added 14-10-11 at 02:29 ---------- just read your other thread leave a standard exhaust on it if your worried about it being cheap to run for work
0 likes
NZ EVLHSVArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by FAQFPV [View Post] leave a standard exhaust on it if your worried about it being cheap to run for work Upgrading the exhaust won't have any negative effect on running costs. If anything it'll slightly improve fuel economy
0 likes
VLforcedArchived member
extractors, standard cat 2.5" exhaust ending in a 3.5" dumpy cannon will get a skyline sound if thats what you are after. definatley standard cat otherwise it sounds too airy
0 likes
super_slaArchived member
would these extractors do? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-CO...em 27bf62e413 (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-COMMODORE-VL-6CYL-3-0LT-RB30-HURRICANE-EXTRACTORS-/170714653715?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27bf62e413)
0 likes
FLY-03LArchived member
i picked up my second hand 2 1/4 exhuast of $50, then sold my stock one of $40 both on here. Theres always extractors popping up for sale with guys doing turbo conversion etc, keep an eye out and get it on the cheap $$ Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
russo187Archived member
I got these extractors on my VL...I reckon they are a pretty good buy... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-VL...em 3cbd57ec07 (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-VL-6cyl-Commodore-Extractors-Headers-Brand-New-/260874693639?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cbd57ec07)
0 likes
RB30DEVLArchived member
In my experience , 2.5 inch mandrel bent (I put a 3 inch straight through cat in mine, with the twin cam 3 litre) is big enough for any atmo RB30. I often wondered why the Yen doubled in value the year they wanted to put that engine in the VN Commodore ,that would've only been a good thing as the Buick V6 made that car a bag, perhaps it may have been paranoia than many Aussies may have taken up eating sushi and turning Japanese themselves.
0 likes
NZ EVLHSVArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by RB30DEVL [View Post] In my experience , 2.5 inch mandrel bent (I put a 3 inch straight through cat in mine, with the twin cam 3 litre) is big enough for any atmo RB30. A single 2.5" is big enough for a stock 5L. A 3" on a stock NA RB30 would lose power and sound ridiculous!
0 likes
Andy-30LArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by super_sla [View Post] I just want mine to sounds like a skyline thats it buy a skyline then lol. as NZ HSV has said, unless its done right only a turbo model will get you that clean skyline sound. id say nothing more than 2 1/4. but yeh as people have said go to big on a n/a an youve got yourself an A class bogan chariot sounding car. with an n/a , in terms of style and sound. less is more u get more respect for a car thats clean an simple. remember that Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
super_slaArchived member
Ok 2 and a quater it is, but will it still be loud or will it sound stock at 2 1/4?
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 3 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today27

18,860 threads, 206,393 posts and 2,290 images saved from CT

55.1% of indexed threads saved