Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
So my insurance is coming up, and I'm thinking about renewing with another company. i'm under 25 so shannons is out and next april my car is able to be club regoes...
my question is simple, what's your car insured for?
mine is currently insured for purchase price (5g) but that is without mods and when i purchased my car it was not roadied or regoed. so i think i easily added 1-2k to the purchase value doing just that.
just after a vague idea of what is reasonable. i think mine is 10-12 value to me. but I know i'd struggle to sell for over 9g.. and also it owes me closer to 15 at a guess.
what does everyone recon?
0 likes
Mine insured with shannons full comprehensive for $15000 cost me $90 a month, Could you put it in your old mans name and do it thru shannons?
0 likes
nah, its in my name at the moment and needs to stay there as i have no credit history or anything. just rental.
sleepy is yours running yet? is it insured as a parked up car or registered and driven?
0 likes
its at maatouks at the moment should be driving home, i got it insured after it was painted and a complete car, it unregisted but shannons said all i have to do is ring them with the number plate when it done nothing will change. Its insured to be drivin 2 or 3 times a week.
0 likes
awesome. i'm looking at once a week on average. if not less. sometimes its twice a week sometimes its once a month.
anyway i think yours is on a different level to mine. just had a scan over the build thread. do you think 15 is reasonable? market value / sale value?
a few more opinions / facts guys? anyone else?
0 likes
i was suprised when they agreed too the value i probaly couldnt sell it for that but i told them it was a $5000 spray job etc and they said no worries.
0 likes
mine is insured for $9k through just car. but now that ive done the new set up im wating it more around 12ish at least. I wasnt heaps happy with 9 but it was the best i could get being 19 at the time, now 20. its due for renewal very soon so will be seing what they can do for me.
0 likes
Mitch, I gave Shannons the flick a while ago. House and three cars gone. All because the prices just kept going through the roof each year and they weren't really offering me anything I couldn't get elsewhere.
So I went to Lumley Special Vehicles. I've got the house covered for more, which costs less. I've got all three of my cars insured for more, which costs less. I've got $40,000 cover on one car for $180 per year full comp.
I phoned Shannons to see if they could match it and keep me as a 10 year customer and they told me they dont price match and they offer more than others do as extras. It's not true... I get my free winscreen per year, choice of repairer, salvage rights... all the rest of the stuff.
My cars have around $20k extra cover than Shannons were willing to offer as a maximum and I'm saving $400 per year to insure them.
Dads had them on his XY for years... as Shannons increases prices, LSV decreases!
LSVFTW
0 likes
My dad also uses Lumley Special Vehicles for his classic Triumph reckons they are great to deal with.
0 likes
10-10-11, 20:16 GMT+10#10 i will be switching to them very shortly once im 25
0 likes
11-10-11, 00:00 GMT+10#11 Can't say that LSV are always the cheapest, nor Shannons.
Either way, come claim time and post claim time...that's when it matters - this is what you pay for.
Also, read the fine print of your policy documentation and the PDS; make sure you understand all of this and "adhere" to all, because come claim time you don't want your insurer declining you
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
11-10-11, 00:17 GMT+10#12 might look into lsv but through shannons my vlct is insured for 30k @ $390 a year and my vx signature senator is 25k @ 400-500 a year so thats not to bad ... also when i had my vh sle that two was insured for 30k @ 390 a year ....
0 likes
11-10-11, 09:03 GMT+10#13 wow so between 9-30 so far on vls. so maybe asking for 12 agreed value isn't so far out there?
keep hitting me guys. i will def' look into lumley.n i know everyone who has replied has more engine work than me but i'm not asking for 15k cover.
i'm sure there are other people interested in this thread aswell. what about some of you guys that have n/a's or more standard vl's?
oh and most of these cars so far are all n/a converts am i correct? pumba's is i think.
---------- Post added 11-10-11 at 12:36 ----------
market value and maximum agreed value with some insurers i am looking at online is 2-4g
couldn't buy much in a vl for that. i think that the problem is they value them as commuter cars. i think we all know the market value on the open market of a vl turbo isn't 2-4g.
like saying the market value of a gt-ho is $600 because its old and crappy... ahh now i rermember why this was so fun last time.
0 likes
11-10-11, 12:35 GMT+10#14 $12k seems to be the avg.
0 likes
11-10-11, 13:57 GMT+10#15 Wow I cannot believe how expensive it is to insure a xar over there??We had to get three valuations done on the car,Then the took the average(74k)photographed her as well(for the records)and the cost for insurance is $145 nz dollars.
Cheers Marty
0 likes
11-10-11, 14:17 GMT+10#16 Quote:
Originally Posted by ss nut
[View Post]
Wow I cannot believe how expensive it is to insure a xar over there??We had to get three valuations done on the car,Then the took the average(74k)photographed her as well(for the records)and the cost for insurance is $145 nz dollars.
Cheers Marty
It may all come down to location, age of drivers, usage etc....
That price there is quite good, it's like the same as what somebody would pay for Third Party Property insurance!
NZ seems to be the place to be for cool cars! (buying etc)
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
11-10-11, 15:07 GMT+10#17 youi quoted me 1800+
racv was 647ish from memory.
massive differences in prices.
allianz said they won't provide an internet quote as my modifications add up to too much $$
some other I went through wouldn't touch an under 30 with a turbo vl.... even as a stationwagon! they didn't even ask if it was modified! I tell you older guys it gets easier with age
0 likes
11-10-11, 15:42 GMT+10#18 Hey dude myns insured for 20gz I would get anywhere near that if I was to sell but for insurance hell ye, it's a berlina turbo converted to a Calais they originally said 9grand or sumfin I go buddy I bought it for 10 an spent over 10 on it I want $20,000 the dude goes I need
0 likes
11-10-11, 18:51 GMT+10#19 im with just car for both of my cars.
full comp for the VLCT @ 12.5k is 900 a year
full comp for the stock auto VN is 1300 a year!! no idea why, so i only got 3rd party on it
0 likes
11-10-11, 19:27 GMT+10#20 i wouldnt waste my money on full comp for my vl as its a stocker but i was quoted $760 full comp agreed value of $9,000 in the lovely postcode of 3074(f#*k all vl thefts). 3rd party is the way to go. i dont leave it out of my sight when its parked as i have no intention of starting a thread in the stolen section
0 likes