Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
OK Guys ive finished building my motor for the VL and its come to the stage where i have to make a decision on what turbo i'm going run.. I have spent hours & hours searching online at garrett turbo's and what size's people are running etc and there's so many different people running so many different setups!
I had a read of this http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/archiv...p/t-73187.html (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/archive/index.php/t-73187.html)
not that i want a t51 but just to help me understand the way they work n stuff but im just struggling with compressor maps and stuff..
My engine is built like this:
RB30 single cam
Linished crank
H-Beam rods
SRP Forged pistons
JE Steel chrome rings
N1 Oil pump
Crank modified to suit
Ported n Polished head
Crow TX2 cam
Double valve springs
High Performance valve grind
MLS head gasket
Full balanced
8.5:1 compression
The list goes on...
Anyway all this will be running through a manual with probably 3.45 gears and a fairly decent clutch.. The car will be streeted and used in skid comps & power skids occasionaly.. Driveability isnt a huge factor but i mean i'm not looking for something thats gonna spool at like 4500rpm cos im only planning on revving to around 7-7500 RPM.
I was thinking about getting just a garrett GT35 .82 or something like that? But ive noticed alot of people running GT40/GT42's and im just not sure anymore haha Im looking for a decent power figure in the region of 300+ RWKW..
If it matters the exhuast manifold i have is T3 flange and i don't particularly want to change that as its a good manifold and fits well...
I know im gonna get shouted down and told to use the search button but i have and i dunno whether im not looking good enough, but i cant make an educated decision.
Can anyone with knowledge on the topic help me out? Or even different people running the different turbos give me an opinion? Like full boost rpm's, power/ torque figures how hard it comes onto boost n all the things that will help me make a choice!
Cheers guys
0 likes
Mate the 3540 is what most people are using for up to 400kw so use that good turbo for street + drags you really carnt go wrong
0 likes
Yeh i figured thats pretty much the go, but a few opinions can't hurt really... See i'm not fussed on boost level's, so if something slightly bigger can make the same power for a more smooth power curve with less PSI thats the one i'll go with...
Cheers even still
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
mate have a read of the kando dynamics thread i posted earlier and make sure you read the site or even give kando dynamics a email and ask them
0 likes
I read that earlier... I dunno what it has to do with me choosing a garrett turbo? lol
0 likes
I wouldnt really go anything much larger than what you're looking at, especially being manual otherwise it'll never be on boost. People use the 35r because it works and its resopnsive - I'd be using that.
0 likes
GTX3582r FTW!!!!
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Agree with HTURBO!
Gtx3582r come on boost quicker than a standard gt series and are rated to a higher hp aswell.. For a manual and considering you only after 300+ then I think this is a great choice for spool time and outright power potential..
0 likes
Hi thats what im using 3582r and i have a similair set up but with out the rods but im having trouble getting clearance from the oil pressure out let
0 likes
26-09-11, 00:05 GMT+10#10 Thanks for your opinions guys I recon i'll be goin that size then, not sure about the gtxr though just because of how expensive they are! haha I am sure the normal one will do the job well enough..
Would you guys says to go for the .82 rear or the 1.06?
Zooming: What do you mean clearance for the oil pressure outlet?
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
27-09-11, 21:24 GMT+10#11 I went for the smaller rear housing i want the boost to come on earlier, I am having trouble with the clearance from the oil out let and the compressor housing im going to try a 10mm spacer tomorrow night and see how that goes i had to also chop the engine mount
0 likes
27-09-11, 21:42 GMT+10#12 I'm using a .82 - Spools a little earlier. Great turbo, awesome power!
0 likes
27-09-11, 22:19 GMT+10#13 Had 1.06 was way too laggy, now have 0.63 and loving it.
0 likes
27-09-11, 22:19 GMT+10#14 If you really want to do the maths if you click on my build thread it runs through it.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
29-09-11, 14:09 GMT+10#15 Ok so it looks like i'll be going for the gt35 with the .82 rear from these opinions... Thanks guys!
Also i mounted up my old turbo on the manifold i have and i dont have any clearance issues what so ever? Probably just different style manifolds...
0 likes