Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Meets & events
Meets & events

Scam or Real?

Started by GMH-383 · 19 Aug 2011 · 24 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

GMH-383Archived member
Hey all, I've got my SS up for sale and I got a call early this week from a guy that has just moved here from NZ but he is living in NT and says he is really interested in my car. He told me he will give me a call again around friday/saturday as he might have a few days off and wants to come down and buy the car, he ended up calling me friday (today) and told me that he is working this weekend but he is genuinely interested in my car and wants to buy it but can't come down to pick it up. So he asked me if I could get as many pictures of the car as possible to give him as much detail on everything and also with the pictures to send him my bank account details as he wants to deposit the money in the bank and once the money is there organize a tow for the car back to NT. Now what kind of felt strange is that the first time he called I told him I was negotiable a little bit with the price and he did not try to negotiate it down at all, so what I want to know is if I give him my bank account name and number is there any way he can do some sort of a scam that way? As I have never done a cheque or this kind of a sale before and seeing all the scams going around I'm kind of worried this might be another one so just wanted as many opinions as possible. Thanks in advance.
0 likes
CSL-FLYArchived member
if theres money in ur bank, pull it straight out.. send the car.. shes apples
0 likes
GMH-383Archived member
Hmm sounds good, but I'm worried if he can use the bank details I give him for the wrong thing? If I give him account name and number can he somehow get into my bank account and take money out? I'm not 100% with all this bank stuff so that's why I'm asking and thanks for your reply!
0 likes
Jeffo_vltArchived member
Whats the towing fee melb>darwin? Must be over 1k? Is it a rare car your selling? Eg none available in Darwin? Anyway, he only needs your Account Number and BSB number to make a direct deposit.
0 likes
CSL-FLYArchived member
as far as i know the only way anyone can steal your money is if they have your credit card/debit card details and they have the 3 digit number located on the back of the card?
0 likes
GMH-383Archived member
Hmm ok, well thanks for the replies guys, car isn't rare its a VT SS manual with mods (no engine mods just a lot of suspension mods, gearbox, diff etc)
0 likes
bck2basicArchived member
hey mate, i just spoke to my cousin as he's a manager at a nab branch and he said, its most likely fraudulent fuding. Even though the money will be in your account, it might not take the bank to realise its dodgy, so they can recall the money at any time if they find its fraudulent. He said the only thing you can do (keep in mind he said that this still isnt that safe) is take a bank cheque. but he said they can be counterfit aswel. he also said dont go getting them to deposit the money and then withdraw it and close the account, because they will come after you aswel. i guess you could check him out, like get all of his information, copy of his drivers license, bank details, where he works, home address, phone numbers, but even then theres still a chance its all fraud. so your only 2 options are to get him to post you the cash or to stay away. or if hes "genuinly interested" get him to come down. better to lose a potential buyer than to lose your hard work and your car imo.
0 likes
CSL-FLYArchived member
saam ur a tripper just withdraw the cash.. tell them to get ****ED if they want to take it from u... id say everyone is just being paranoid.. if the cash is in ur bank then the car is sold. id do it without a doubt if i was u
0 likes
bck2basicArchived member
If you withdraw the cash they can still recall, leaving you with negative funds. It's stupid. And if the cash is in your account, that doesn't necessarily mean it is all cleared, they might not pickup on it for another 2 days. And yea I'm just gonna turn around to the bank and say get fckd I'm not giving you the money, they're not gonna turn around and say "sorry sir, your right, excuse me while i shove a dildo up my ass, have a great day." it's not how they work James. And if you withdraw/close the account, and they find out it's dodgy money, they'll get extra suspicious and will come looking for you.
0 likes
CSL-FLYArchived member
but u have done nothing wrong, i know negligence is no excuse for breaking the law but in this case GMH383 would be nothing but an innocent 3rd party... the people they would want to speak to would be the purchaser of the car and the victim of whom the funds were stolen from
0 likes
AVGTSArchived member
its a scam mate. my dad had the same thing happen to him, lucky he didnt fall for it.
0 likes
aus880Archived member
btw bank cheques can bounce so only hand over goods once they have actually cleared re the guy in NT yes I'd be dubious as there are lots of scams going, this might be one where he wants you to pay for shipping and he'll reimburse you yes he could do a dodgy deposit into your bank account too
0 likes
SkyWalkerArchived member
Bro dont sell your car unless the person comes and pays u cash in person.
0 likes
GrantgArchived member
Had it happen to me bloke told me he worked on the navy ship and couldn't make it down asked me to send photos and **** exactly the same dragged on for 3 weeks and wanted to pay me 10k for a vr wagon f&@king tripper told him to get stuffed in the end month later all over the news
0 likes
GMH-383Archived member
Thanks for all the replies guys, guess I'm going to wait for a genuine buyer to come along and pick it up. Thanks again for all the replies was really helpful!
0 likes
EvilPetArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by GMH-383 [View Post] Thanks for all the replies guys, guess I'm going to wait for a genuine buyer to come along and pick it up. Thanks again for all the replies was really helpful! Now that you know its a scam you can have a little fun. IF he's up in Darwin - ask him to send you a photo of him holding todays paper (ie. Darwin paper) - start pissing yourself at all the excuses he starts to make. This website has given me some joy when I've been bored. http://www.419eater.com/ I got the simalar email from a john smith wanting to buy my car, This is how it went Hello, is the item still up for sale? thanks John. I reply with the usual still for sale HIS REPLY Thanks for the email ,do let me know how much you are willing to sell to me . I will be paying with my paypal account which is the safest online payment mode.so please do reply me asap with your paypal account or send me a payment request from your paypal account so i can effect payment to you rightaway. You can easily open an account with paypal if you don;t have one at http://www.paypal.com.au its safe,simple and reliable also do get back to me so we can arrange for pick up as i will like it to be picked by my pick up agent due to the fact that i am out of the country now on job duties,so no shipping included I await your reply. Hope to hear from you soon. Regards BIT SUSS I THOUGHT SO I PUSHED A BIT FURTHER REPLIED TO HIM WITH The lowest I would go would be $1900. Payment for the car will be COD as I don’t have a pay pal account and also don’t trust internet banking. I am more than happy to liaise with your pick up agent directly HIS REPLY WAS TO DO DIRECT BANK TRANSFER “WRONG ANSWER” I REPLYIED WITH Hi John If that is your real name after reading some blogs on the web im pretty sure you are a scammer if im wrong I will meet with your ” pick up agent” along with the police and it will be $2000 CASH ONLY. Cheers .PS. How dumb do you think I am you dead s#it Havent heard from him since SO WATCH OUT FOR THIS DOUCHE.
0 likes
PROGMHArchived member
I can't see what the issue is with someone depositing money in to your bank account and then once cleared you send them the car.... ? It happens every day on ebay with various items.
0 likes
bck2basicArchived member
For example, let's say you had Internet banking, scammer logs into it, sends the money direct deposit to gmh-383. Then gmh-383 receives it and it's all in his bank account. He sends the car to the scammer. You then login to your account and realize your down let's say 10k, you'd go off. Call the bank ad tell them you didn't send that money nor did you authorize it, so they go and investigate, turns out that it wasnt you who did it and then they put a recall on the money. I then don't know what happens after wether you get your money back or gmh-383 gets it. But in the end someone's left out.
0 likes
AVL012345Archived member
You get the guy to direct deposit the funds in your account at his local branch or issue you a bank cheque where the branch will confirm his identity and issue him with a receipt which he and the bank signs in which he will have it faxed or email it to you as proof, match the figure amount and check the receipt numbers on the slip match the one on the transaction log. You then write out a receipt and quote the debit number on it as being the true payment for the good and the rest is history. If the money is stolen and the activity is fraudulent, then the bank is liable as they confirmed his identity and allowed him to access someone elses account and money and the bank has no right to recoup funds without your consent anyway but it won't come down to that, they are at fault for allowing this fraudulent activity to take place.
0 likes
NZ EVLHSVArchived member
The guys from NZ, that should raise alarm bells
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 3 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today27

18,841 threads, 206,109 posts and 2,290 images saved from CT

55.0% of indexed threads saved