Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

VP bonnet fire

Started by joeallen · 18 Aug 2011 · 2 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

joeallenArchived member
Recently I removed my alternator from my VP wagon and put it back on. In doing so, I ran the wiring in front of the alternator rather than tuck it behind the alternator. A few days later I could hear clicking sounds under the dash, like a circuit cutting out then coming back on but I could not find anything under the dash. A few days later I was coming west on Kororoit Creek road in Willy when the power cut off completely followed by smoke billowing from under the bonnet. I got over the slow lane and glided to a stop right in front of the only car repair shop on that side of the road. They put out the fire and removed the red battery cable from the battery. Turned out the wiring had rubbed on the alternator and shorted out. The damage was confined to the alternator wiring which I replaced later. Had to have the car towed home. Moral of this story: Put the wiring back where it belongs.
0 likes
5spdvlArchived member
Cool story bro. The clicking sound would have been relays switching.
0 likes
3ltr VLArchived member
pics
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 1 guest active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today28

19,492 threads, 218,339 posts and 2,371 images saved from CT

56.9% of indexed threads saved