Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

BMW Stereo Install!

Started by Woggster · 16 Aug 2011 · 20 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

WoggsterArchived member
Hey, I've got an E46 BMW and i'm looking at upgrading the sound system. I've pretty much decided on the subs (Pioneer 12" 1000RMS each) but i can't decide on the speakers for the front and back. This is what i need to know: 1. Roughly how many watts/RMS are the factory BMW speakers? (I cant find this info anywhere and no one seems to know) 2. what tweeters/6x9s/front speakers would you recommend? Also, what do you think of these 6x9s: http://www.carbonblack.com.au/buy-ca...rms-12580.aspx (http://www.carbonblack.com.au/buy-car-parts/audio---video/cs2397-vifa-6-x-9-inch-4-way-car-speaker-150wrms-12580.aspx) I'm hoping some of you audio whizzes can help me out with my selection, thanks in advance Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
WoggsterArchived member
Can anyone help me out? Ive been told not to get 6x9s as the 2 or 3 subs will be providing all the bass, so i've been recommended to get 6" or 6.5" for the back. What are your thoughts? Thanks Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
VLWAGONITArchived member
decent set of splits up front and a decent set of 6" or 6.5's at the rear
0 likes
WoggsterArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by VLWAGONIT [View Post] decent set of splits up front and a decent set of 6" or 6.5's at the rear Thanks for that, do you recommend a particular brand? Also do you recommend to use component speakers? Thanks Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
MrSquigleArchived member
How much you looking to spend? the possabilities are endless
0 likes
WoggsterArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by MrSquigle [View Post] How much you looking to spend? the possabilities are endless Honestly, i havnt really set a budget yet. All i know is i've already decided on the Tweeters (4x250RMS each, no thats not a typo), Subs (Pioneer 12" 1000RMS each) & either 6.5" Alpine Type-R components (They are rated to 110RMS each, is that rating just for the speakers or does it include the tweeters aswell?) or 6.5" Rockford Fosgate Power T1652-S (I'm leaning towards the Alpines currently). Can anyone recommend which amp i should get to run the subs/speakers? Will i need another battery or just a stronger one? (My current battery is only 2months old and cost $200) Will i need a more powerful alternator? Do i need an aftermarket headdeck or will the BMW one be good enough to power the system? (I've got my eye on a few DVD screen head units at the moment) Thanks in advance, as you can tell it's going to be a fairly serious system.
0 likes
MrSquigleArchived member
Budget is a great starting point, also what you would like to achieve. For instance do you want a SPL (ultimatly looking for the loudest system within your budget) or a sound quality system (a system that provides audio bliss within your budget) knowing this will determine the importance of extra batteries/alternators headeck etc. I recommend for you to go into a store and talk to some experts. They will ask you the correct questions to help model the right system for you. This will help eliminate any dissapointments as there is alot more to building a system than slapping high power amps and speakers in your car. You will also get the oportunity to listen to some speakers that take your fancy instore and not just settle on a brand name you are familiar with as there are many others that will sound as good if not better for your budget. If you had a quote for your gear or know exactly what you wanted we could offer more oppinions and advice that may be of assistance. Good luck with it all
0 likes
WoggsterArchived member
To give you an idea these are the 6.5" Components im going to use, Alpine Type R: http://www.alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=224 Can anyone recommend a car audio installer in Sydney to speak to about the install? The only two i can think of are Doran & Concord Customs. Thanks guys
0 likes
HTURBOArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Woggster [View Post] To give you an idea these are the 6.5" Components im going to use, Alpine Type R: http://www.alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=224 Thanks guys That's what I'm running in the Clubby. The sound & clarity are awesome.
0 likes
WoggsterArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by HTURBO [View Post] That's what I'm running in the Clubby. The sound & clarity are awesome. Awesome!! Yeah ive heard they are great value for money. Im gonna be running atleast 2 pairs, possibly 4 pairs depending on what thye sound like HTURBO - What amp are you running in the Clubby?? Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
HTURBOArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Woggster [View Post] HTURBO - What amp are you running in the Clubby?? Running a PDX5 & a PDX1.1000 I did have the PDX5 running 1 sub & 4 splits but then I decide to up the anti & brought a PDX1.000 So off the PDX5 I'm running 4 x SPR-17s & the the PDX1.100 I'm running 2 x swr-1242D. So if you after for a back massage or to loose some tooth fillings. Should come for a ride. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
WoggsterArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by HTURBO [View Post] Running a PDX5 & a PDX1.1000 I did have the PDX5 running 1 sub & 4 splits but then I decide to up the anti & brought a PDX1.000 So off the PDX5 I'm running 4 x SPR-17s & the the PDX1.100 I'm running 2 x swr-1242D. So if you after for a back massage or to loose some tooth fillings. Should come for a ride. Haha sounds good! I was looking at that exact Alpine amp, but can that amp power the Alpine Type R splits to their full 110RMS? What do you think of this setup HTURBO: Pioneer TS-W3002D4 subs (2 or 3 of them) Alpine Type-R SPR-17S (2 pairs) Tweeters (rated at 250rms each, getting 4 of them) Alpine PDX-1.1000 (Probably run 2 of these) Alpine PDX-5 I know i'll probably need a more powerful alternator & a capacitor to make this run properly Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
MrSquigleArchived member
I would ditch these 250wrms tweeters if you are set on buying component speakers (type R). Alpine PDX amps are good due to there compact design and ease of installation, however there are much better performing amps you can buy similar price if size is not important. If going 1.1000 PDX amps dont bother with PDX 5 as you will need 4ch amps such as the 4.150 or 4.100 if you want matching amps for your speakers. Go to FRHX in Sydney and talk to them about your needs. I am pretty sure you wont walk out of that store with Alpine /Pioneer speakers in hand. I wouldnt go out buying bigger alternators for the system you sugested. Upgrade earths and if standard battery is not keeping up you could upgrade to a Optima Yellow top D34 Battery. They have a faster charge absorption rate and will be more than enough for your system.
0 likes
WoggsterArchived member
You think the tweeters from the component speakers are gonna be enough? (i like my systems very loud and with huge amounts of clarity) I'll probably go out to Caringbah and talk to FRHX today, thanks for the tip Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
MrSquigleArchived member
have you considered a 3 way front speaker arrangement? A 3 way system breaks down the frequency spectrum over 3 speakers allowing each driver to play more efficiently and in most cases louder. eg the midbass only need to play 60hz to 450hz and does not need to reach the higher ends of the midrange frequencies as this will be taken care of my the midrange to about 2500-3000hz. Without knowing more about the 250wrms tweeters you have in mind im thinking you will be better off spending your money on a higher end speaker set as tweeters will be matched to the drivers. You can mix and match drivers but much more difficult to get right and some trial and error involved $$. With good quality 3 way component set you will be fixing rattles caused by viabration in the car to improve the sound quality front speakers are the most important to your system. Spend up to $1500 on front speaker set and you wont look back. I would personally be looking at Dyn Audio, Crescendo, Focal, HAT to name a few. (if bigger midbass can be installed look at HAT L8 8" speakers for the midbass in a 3way installation for huge sound) You will need lots of power to run front speakers in a high end system. I have 800wrms going to my 3-way front speakers. On a budget JL Audio slash amps are the best you will find IMO, or you could aim a little higher at Audison, ARC audio etc. Subs, I would look at Image Dynamics IDQ or IDMAX if the budget allows. Sound great and will go loud if required. There are many others but these first come to mind for loud and clarity you require. FRHX will point you in the right direction. Let us know how you go with quotes and what was recommended to you. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
HTURBOArchived member
The only reason I went for the PDX5 was at that time I was running 4 speakers & 1 sub. The PDX5 is a powerfull amp & has allready melted/burnt out a pair of Alpine SPR-69c. That's why I went for the splits. That only happened once I disconnected the sub LOL. Maybe more power going to the splits I don't know. Anyway I can't believe such a small amp can pack so much power. PDX1.1000 rated 2400watts. No joke when I go through car parks with the stereo up I set off car alarms LOL. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQWSRLvdNHc Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
ADICTIVArchived member
i could not agree with you more MR SQUIGGLE.... I also recomend hertz, jl, dynaudio some real high end gear there... My last system had idq 12 x2 great subs. You are a man after my own heart squiggle i may be falling for you Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
MrSquigleArchived member
LOL@ ADICTIV selecting the right gear is easy enough, but the most important part of building a system in a car is the installation. If having the install done by a shop you generally get what you pay for, make sure you get the detail of whats included for your money. You are going to need good quality cables, and sound deadening in a car is of most importance if you want the most out of your speakers. Dynamat seems to be the most commonly used method of sound deadner on the market. If mounting speakers in doors you want to enclose service holes to seal them up. This improvement alone will provide much deeper/accurate mid bass and stop the tinny rattles. Its these rattles that prematurely create a distorted sound when the volumes up, so you need to elimate them. There is alot to think about, so dont rush. Think about what you want to achieve and of course how much of your hard earned you want to invest as the possabilities are endless. Good luck.
0 likes
ADICTIVArchived member
whats happening with this woggster..... Must be time for some pics Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
WoggsterArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by ADICTIV [View Post] whats happening with this woggster..... Must be time for some pics Haha yea i wish man, car is at the workshop at the moment so progress on the stereo is currently stopped unfortunately Will deffinitely update you with the install, and thanks for the tip on the insulation Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 1 guest active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today111

12,219 threads, 94,934 posts and 1,252 images saved from CT

35.7% of indexed threads saved