Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

VL Melted Fuse Box

Started by markER717 · 8 Aug 2011 · 11 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

markER717Archived member
Hey all just wondering, how I replace my fuse box panel is there any other way to do it other then re-soldering?
0 likes
mr031Archived member
nope Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
joe bloArchived member
a guy on here used to sell unmeltable fuse rail things. search it. think he can stil do them. also seen them on ebay think its the same guy.
0 likes
KALAYArchived member
he hasn't been on for ages, i want one....
0 likes
YBJLS4Archived member
Same here, everytime I contacted him all I got was " they should arrive this week... Next week and so on". I think it was STOWLN
0 likes
EvilPetArchived member
Yep Mike has gone AWOL. I've tried to get him through other means for the past few years. He also had one of the largest stockpiles of JJD Twin Tyres that I knew of and he'd bought out liquidated stock from a few companies.
0 likes
airbagsVLArchived member
Honeslty, I feel like ringing holden and nominating them for TOTY 1987, for putting the fuse box in the hottest place in the car. Why, holden, why would you do that???
0 likes
Psi_WagonArchived member
its not the exhaust that melts them...
0 likes
markER717Archived member
Okay, so I just googled this question and found my own thread that I had forgotten about lolll. But I've managed to find a brand new genuine rail, I want to wire up a relay to avoid melting the new one, I just want to get my hands on if possible a wiring diagram for the fuse box? I would greatly appreciate it.
0 likes
HTURBOArchived member
Give Stef a ring at 12volt customs. It will probably take a few minutes to sort out the problem & fix it. http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=131563 Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
markER717Archived member
thanks mate but I'd rather not pay someone to fix a problem I reckon I could tackle myself will mostlikely end up wiring in relays to switch the lights to avoid it happening again. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
MonstaS4Archived member
The headlights already run through relays (apart from the "pass" circuit) and therefore aren't the problem. The wiring & fuse combo is probably a little underdone. Obviously the metal link inside a fuse melts by design to break the circuit, but if the current flowing in the circuit is close to the rating of the fuse, it may never melt......it will just get hot. There's not much of an air gap in blade fuses, so this heat is transferred to casing of the fuse which in turn gets transferred to fuse terminals and ultimately the plastic fuse holder. As the fuses are sized to protect the wires, you can't just up the fuse size......you need to up the wire size. Unless you're rewiring the car, that's pretty impractical. The best way around it is to use inline glass fuse holders and sit them under the fuse panel. They have more of an air gap around the fuse filament and don't get as hot as blade fuses.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 1 guest active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today110

11,904 threads, 90,928 posts and 1,227 images saved from CT

34.8% of indexed threads saved