Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

Does RB30E need hylomar for headgasket??

Started by rb30:) · 8 July 2011 · 6 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

rb30:)Archived member
Hi guys, as the title suggests, I want to fit the fresh head this weekend but am unsure if the gasket needs hylomar or similar to be sprayed on the gasket face before installation or does this only apply to copper gaskets?? I've been told by a few people that I don't need hylomar as long as the block and head's surfaces are perfectly flat, which mine are now. I don't intend on using it unless it is actually compulsory(never used it in the past and no problems so far) although this time it's an RB30E+T, not RB30E.
0 likes
WTF-WGNArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by rb30:) [View Post] Hi guys, as the title suggests, I want to fit the fresh head this weekend but am unsure if the gasket needs hylomar or similar to be sprayed on the gasket face before installation or does this only apply to copper gaskets?? I've been told by a few people that I don't need hylomar as long as the block and head's surfaces are perfectly flat, which mine are now. I don't intend on using it unless it is actually compulsory(never used it in the past and no problems so far) although this time it's an RB30E+T, not RB30E. Can't hurt, but may or may not have any gain.
0 likes
CocopopzArchived member
I spray all head gaskets with hylomar with the exception of cometic 3 layer metal gaskets. Only a very light even spray, to heavy and it will do the opposite and be prone to leak.
0 likes
Pub247Archived member
what kind of gasket is it like said it cant really hurt but if its composite fibre it wont matter
0 likes
rb30:)Archived member
Genuine Nissan OEM Head Gasket
0 likes
rb30:)Archived member
Still haven't put the head on yet...lazy I know but I got some Hylomar today for piece of mind. It's going to be a fun few days of installing all the new parts I bought but looking forward to it I have been advised by more than a few that Hylomar is considered necessary on OEM Nissan Head gaskets especially when they are high comp. + turbo Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
HTURBOArchived member
Just buy one of these & be done with it. http://www.aclperformance.com.au/prod_g_proseal.htm
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 1 guest active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today32

20,479 threads, 241,462 posts and 2,526 images saved from CT

59.8% of indexed threads saved