Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

Snapped in Turbine Housing

Started by rb30:) · 28 June 2011 · 9 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

rb30:)Archived member
Hi Guys, I have a bit of a problem and that is I snapped 3 bolts off the turbine housing. Has anyone on here had any success drilling out the holes and retapping them? If so what kind of drill bits should I looking at getting?? HSS? Cheers-
0 likes
TomoArchived member
left hand drill bits are your friend.
0 likes
aerovlArchived member
Sometimes called easy-outs.
0 likes
rb30:)Archived member
Easy out's would be the "easy" option here but it just won't happen as the turbine housing and the snapped off bolts are hardened steel not to mention the heat cycles that that housing/bolts go through over the years. Was thinking about getting a A/F tungsten carbide or cobalt drill set. Short of that I will have to find a place that will do it for me but if I do it myself I might learn something and get a decent set of drill bits out of it.
0 likes
PSI086Archived member
I got 4 out of mine using an easy out. Normal drill bit worked fine with it. Another option is to drill it right on centre and take it out to the size to suit an M8 tap and then run a tap through. Soaking with lots of yield, penetrene, inox, etc helps too
0 likes
rb30:)Archived member
alright bought a set of drill bits and it didnt want to drill through. I was using lubricant to stop the bits from going blunt. Spent 3 hours on 1 hole and judging by how far it went in I'd say I have about 999,999 hours of drilling left and theres 4 bolts snapped!!! Going to call Garrett today to try and buy a brand new stock VLT turbine housing. That is unless sum1 here has an old one lying around that they want to sell me...
0 likes
MarzellaArchived member
Drill at low speed on a drill press.. they will come out easy no need to buy a new housing. When you put new bolts in make sure you put some anti-seize on the threads.
0 likes
PSI086Archived member
Were they decent drill bits you bought?
0 likes
qwertstaArchived member
Could try that stuff in a can what freezes the seized bolt and then try a chissel and hammer
0 likes
rb30:)Archived member
Yea they were decent, they were cobalt drill bits and did the job really well. Now to tap some new threads...
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 2 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today8

16,174 threads, 155,849 posts and 1,792 images saved from CT

47.2% of indexed threads saved