Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

AFM on Hot side of Cooler?

Started by VLC-57L · 21 Feb 2011 · 7 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

VLC-57LArchived member
I have searched the forum in all topics regarding AFM in the Intercooler piping but no where could I find if it will still operate on the hot side of the Cooler. I have finished off doing my piping on a high mount turbo/forward facing plenum set up. I have little room anywhere to fit the AFM in. I do want to run it in the Intercooler piping (not infront of the turbo) but the only spot I have is just after the turbo. I saw a few people with very knowledgeable answers to previous questions (regarding AFM's), so it seems some of you guys really know the operation temperatures etc of the factory AFM. Would it still operate fine being between the turbo and the intercooler?
0 likes
HTURBOArchived member
Running it before the intercooler will be be a bad option in my books. If you have the AFM before the turbo intake would be OK. Having the AFM before the throttle body would be OK. The reason for people running there AFM before the throttle body is to help with air fuel ratio. I think from memory the hotter the air the leaner the engine runs. Buy your self a aftermarket ecu & get rid of the AFM all together. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
VLC-57LArchived member
Oh I totally agree, running an aftermarket ECU and ditching all the factory sensors is by far the best option. I am looking to do that further,further down the track (after painting and many other things first) it was just for now. I just read on previous posts that argued the point of running the AFM before the turbo or just before throttle body (in piping) that the ambient air temp running threw an AFM (before turbo) would be cooler than any temperature of air in any section of the piping. (which I agree too) So being that I was doing this more mainly for a dosing effect than trying to trick my ECU's rich/lean mixture for more fuel. I just wanted to find out if it was just going to run ridiculously rich or lean by having it located between turbo and cooler (as thats the only place it will fit). I mean I guess at the end of the day there is only 1 way to find out and thats to just do it. I just thought I'd ask the question in case someone has done it and either say "meh same thing" or "no no no dont do it, its bad" type thing lol
0 likes
theVLguyArchived member
The AFM is moved into cooler pipes so that the car doesnt surge/stall on gearchange or backing off on boost, none of this tricking the ecu bull****. putting the AFM in the hot side would be bad, air temps can reach 80-100c
0 likes
VLC-57LArchived member
Bad as in it will damage/melt the AFM? or not give the reading it is suppose to get. I thought being a hot wire AFM it is adjustable to different temps?
0 likes
VLTF-18Archived member
if you dont want to put it in front of the turbo You can run the wire behind the back of the engine over to the coldside
0 likes
VLC-57LArchived member
Yeah that's all well and good. I just have no section to fit it in on that side. My pipe comes out of my cooler, straight around and directly into the plenum. There is not one section I could fit the AFM in. I only have the straight piece coming off my turbo before it makes a turn and goes through the vertical wall of the inner guard. (just above the rails)
0 likes
HTURBOArchived member
Can you post up a photo of your plenum or engine bay.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

1 member and 1 guest active in the last 15 minutes

Visitors Today35

20,926 threads, 248,137 posts and 2,558 images saved from CT

61.1% of indexed threads saved