Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗
Hi guys, i've found a new love in my life apart from my vl calais.
...It's shooting!
Need some advice though as I am a noob at this. I've currently been shooting with a mates 243 Browning. As its a neat gun to shoot with, it does not pack much punch. I have just acquired my gun license and now in the market for a rifle. A few mates have been suggesting a Browning 270 / Remington 700? as it packs a decent punch and is'nt bad for gaming either.
The problem arises when we talk about money. I have a set budget of about 2k, hundred here or there wont bother me too much, but i need a decent gun and a decent scope to go with it (good combo).
Any suggestions, links or stores I can contact that you guys recommend ?
Cheers, any help would be much appreciated.
0 likes
hey mate.. check this out
http://calaisturbo.com.au/showthread...=172589&page=7 (http://calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=172589&page=7)
0 likes
thanx for the link champ.
any gun shops with cluey fellas i can head down to in the Melbourne region ?
0 likes
Mialls gun shop in frankston the blokes in there are pretty good...
0 likes
Get a decent .22 lr first to learn the ins and outs, and to economically practice.
Then get some serious funds together and assemble a cache.
---------- Post added 11-01-11 at 19:28 ----------
Sluggies are good fun too, and you could get away with using it at home maybe
0 likes
I own a remington 700 VTR in 308. Awesome rifle and with the right load will take down anything in australia.
But as above try getting yourself a cheap 22 like a CZ 452/453 for cheap plinking at targets.
My biggest suggestion when buying a gun is never skimp on your scope. A cheap big magnification scope will always be out done by an expensive low magnification scope due to the fact that you can just see things clearer and easier.
Look at scopes in the leupold range and rifles in the remington range.
Cheap remingtons can be had for a little over 1k, then throw 1k into a scope. Something in the regions of a Leupold 4-12 or bigger. If I had my time again I would get the 8-25x leupold.
0 likes
Last week bought myself a Tikka T3 Varmint .270 cal with a Leupold vx3 4.5-14x50 scope, picatinny rail with Leupold mark 4 rings (medium height)
0 likes
How much was your scoop mate?
There unreal the VX3's
0 likes
900 odd but worked out cheaper as I bought it as a combo. Cant wait to get my hands on it
0 likes
23-03-11, 20:03 GMT+10#10 Quote:
Originally Posted by YBJLS4
[View Post]
Last week bought myself a Tikka T3 Varmint .270 cal with a Leupold vx3 4.5-14x50 scope, picatinny rail with Leupold mark 4 rings (medium height)
tikka are a dam good buy for there price im looking at a 300Win Mag muzzle brake stainless barrel and action.
there action is bloody smooth the thing can basically load its self when u point the gun down.... made by sako as an affordable option there a good by. + been a left hander they make all there models for both.
heres a good site best prices i can find and gets updated every day...
http://usedguns.com.au/used_rifles.html
0 likes
23-03-11, 22:54 GMT+10#11 Winchester .222 would be a good beginners gun. Can pack a fair bit of punch. Have dropped many wombats, fox's & rabbits. Rabbits just seem to blow to smithereens though lol.
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
24-03-11, 09:26 GMT+10#12 My dad has a Rem .222 and it is a unreal gun, so much fun, but serious enough to down some good game. We have hunted pigs, deer, goats and the little beast never let us down.
I have a Ruger .243, Tikka T3 .270 and i would prefer to shoot the .222 anyday
Although i pick up this last week, and besides being very $$$ to shoot, this is my new Fav gun.
Winchester Model70 300 Win Mag
Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
24-03-11, 15:46 GMT+10#13 300 Win Mag is awesome, only a couple of other Cals compete for performance, and range (30-06, 7mm Rem Mag etc). Shame about the barrel life.
0 likes
25-03-11, 17:52 GMT+10#14 Nice unit JNRGMH, what scope have you got on that?
0 likes
28-03-11, 11:07 GMT+10#15 I put a Leupold VX3 on it for now. 3.5-10x40mm
Sits really low which I prefer.
Depends how serious i get, i might get a swarovski z6 for it. Although i dont know if it its going to be worth spending 2.5k on that scope for a extra 5-6 mins of hunting.
0 likes
19-09-11, 15:26 GMT+10#16 I used to own a gun back in the US. But there are importation laws so I wasn't able to take it home.
0 likes
16-10-11, 12:27 GMT+10#17 Since your in northern subs, go to game hunter on cooper st epping, they're real good, I buy plenty from there
0 likes
18-01-12, 19:10 GMT+10#18 A tikka t3 in a .270 is a great gun and you will get one with a good scope for that budget
0 likes
24-01-12, 18:26 GMT+10#19 hey mate i got a syn and ss 30-06 weatherby vanguard its had no more than 100 shots, triggers been lightened to 2lb im keeping the scope, id prob let it go for 500
0 likes
24-01-12, 18:46 GMT+10#20 for your fist rifle id be sticking with a rimfire 17hmr or 22lr or a small centrefire, get some practice up first then step up, as shooting a 22lr and a 270 is a huge difference. i have a 17hmr and 308 and id rather the 17, much nicer gun than the 308
0 likes