Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›General discussion
General discussion

The 4x4 thread..

Started by Duke57TT · 15 Dec 2010 · 151 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

Duke57TTArchived member
Ok.. new job, new perks one being a full private use vehicle. Seeing as I want to tow the race car/ski boat/your mum around I went with a Isuzu D-Max 4x4 Dual Cab. Its Diesel.. I know **** all about diesels other than putting ball bearings into wastegate lines on tractors and headers to give them more go .. Still I like the way it goes, don't have to drop back gears going up hills etc etc, but seeing as I like to make stuff go faster and when I tow the race car I still want to be able to over take. What are my options for powering it up. Does anyone have products they have used that they would be happy to recommend? This thread isn't just for my D-Max.. show and tell what you have Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
EpitaphArchived member
you wanna power it up lukey boy? www.ecoshot.com.au (http://www.ecoshot.com.au) i'll look after you
0 likes
MxPx VLArchived member
maybe a powerchip lol
0 likes
EpitaphArchived member
One thing, Diesel chips DO work, but i can promise you more power than a chip (20-30% power AND torque increases), with a 20-30% fuel saving as well!
0 likes
Duke57TTArchived member
I should mention it is leased.. "powerchips" I can get away with injected gas I cannot Don't worry I thought of you first Kane. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
EpitaphArchived member
Why cant you get away wiht it? it's a non intrusive kit so u can pull it off when you're done Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Duke57TTArchived member
I could probably get away with a exhaust as well.. but it can't be loud. I do have to ferry people around etc ---------- Post added 15-12-10 at 14:19 ---------- Quote: Originally Posted by Epitaph [View Post] Why cant you get away wiht it? it's a non intrusive kit so u can pull it off when you're done I'll have a squiz dude. If I can get away with it I will. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
EpitaphArchived member
in the end, because it's a company vehicle, you're gonna be better off installing it yourself and just never registering the car with a gas conversion. then jst pull it off when you're done and either A) Sell the kit or B) get another diesel
0 likes
Duke57TTArchived member
PM price on a basic kit Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
MxPx VLArchived member
Is it one of these listed here? http://www.dpchip.com/vehicles.html?...13273234460875 (http://www.dpchip.com/vehicles.html?appSession=313273234460875) I haven't personlly used one but mates have found them to be good on Patrols/Navaras/Landcruisers
0 likes
PSI-EFIArchived member
got a few mates running the dp chips and they reckon they work. my mates running them in their diesels are towing between 4-6 tonne. when towing, you dont really want to be overtaking etc, maybe because i've had some bad experiences. like for e.g the small boat at 3.5 tonne can tow 120-130 with the custom trailer and 4x4 tyres, but stays at 90 kays to be safe. the noosacat weighing 4.5 tonne gets towed at 65-70 km/h. anything over that is scary as all ****. my dads mate is a crazy ****. with a chipped f-250 towing a 28 formula, was towing on 130 in cruise control, mind you weighing 6.5 tonne loaded, risky business.
0 likes
OldGoldArchived member
I'll be the boring voice of reason; sounds to me like you should just keep the car as it is. Also, it'd be pretty silly to break the terms of your lease for a few KW you don't actually need.
0 likes
PSI-EFIArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by OldGold [View Post] I'll be the boring voice of reason; sounds to me like you should just keep the car as it is. yeppp. for the weight of a car and trailer not worth it
0 likes
Duke57TTArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by OldGold [View Post] I'll be the boring voice of reason; sounds to me like you should just keep the car as it is. Also, it'd be pretty silly to break the terms of your lease for a few KW you don't actually need. It is boring I don't think I have owned a car that I havent made faster or better.. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
FORZAArchived member
i thought faster is better?
0 likes
OldGoldArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Duke57TT [View Post] I don't think I have owned a car that I havent made faster or better... But you don't own this one!
0 likes
EpitaphArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by PSI-EFI [View Post] got a few mates running the dp chips and they reckon they work. my mates running them in their diesels are towing between 4-6 tonne. when towing, you dont really want to be overtaking etc, maybe because i've had some bad experiences. like for e.g the small boat at 3.5 tonne can tow 120-130 with the custom trailer and 4x4 tyres, but stays at 90 kays to be safe. the noosacat weighing 4.5 tonne gets towed at 65-70 km/h. anything over that is scary as all ****. my dads mate is a crazy ****. with a chipped f-250 towing a 28 formula, was towing on 130 in cruise control, mind you weighing 6.5 tonne loaded, risky business. tell your mates to call me, ill give them more power than a DP chip with a fuel saving
0 likes
88 ChaserArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Duke57TT [View Post] It is boring I don't think I have owned a car that I havent made faster or better.. Bahaha, you sound exactly like me. I own my Navara so next year is Kane gas, exhaust, bigger cooler (sounds like the prick of a thing pings once towing for a while) Not sure in a D though, got no real experience with them. Also there is a throttle controller that over rides the factory throttle response, so im getting one of those, when I say flat out, i want flat out straight away, not when the stupid computer thinks im ready for it, it has 12 kw, not 800. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
EpitaphArchived member
Jase im gonna try to catch you on facebook to talk about this throttle overider lol
0 likes
Duke57TTArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by OldGold [View Post] But you don't own this one! Ahh but I am paying for it.. So **** em.. I'ma going to modify it. Only a little bit. haha Looking at exhaust at this stage, supposedly 15kw in that alone. I'll stick it on the dyno for before and afters for each little mod and see if it does go better. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 2 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today4

13,701 threads, 116,090 posts and 1,377 images saved from CT

40.0% of indexed threads saved