Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

VR / VS 215 Senator Differences and Advice

Started by VSBT1-8 · 9 Mar 2010 · 22 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

VSBT1-8Archived member
Hey guys, Just want to know what the differences are between a VR and VS 215 Senator. Also want to know what to look out for when buying one. There's a bloke up the road selling a VR 215 Senator for 6k with 150k on the clock. Done a VIN check and all seems mickey. Seems a bit too cheap if you ask me. Thanks.
0 likes
raz7Archived member
6 grand is really cheap for a senator mate!
0 likes
OZYArchived member
thats so cheap!!! is it genuine and does have all options ?
0 likes
PROGMHArchived member
That's very cheap, although you're comparing it with over priced ones. Most people ask between $10-15k for one when really they're just a souped up clubsport. If it all matches up, I'd buy it!
0 likes
7FOUR7Archived member
If it's in good nick and numbers match up, snap it up!! I payed 6500 for a vr 185 senator that needs a little tidying up which I thought wasn't bad.
0 likes
VSBT1-8Archived member
It's in decent nick. A bit of crows feet on the bonnet and a few other bits and pieces.
0 likes
NZ EVLHSVArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by PROGMH Most people ask between $10-15k for one when really they're just a souped up clubsport. Stroker motor and 6 speed makes them a lot more than just a souped up clubby There aren't any differences you can clearly see between VR and VS 215s other than the general build quality between the two. From what I've seen the VS is a much better built car than the VR
0 likes
7FOUR7Archived member
Very true, the vs are much better.
0 likes
HSVRIPArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by PROGMH That's very cheap, although you're comparing it with over priced ones. Most people ask between $10-15k for one when really they're just a souped up clubsport. If it all matches up, I'd buy it! Clubsports don't have Devenish seats or big brakes either. Sounds like a good buy to me.
0 likes
WoggsterArchived member
$6K?? you mind PMing me the guys number If it's in decent condition for $6K you've got a beautiful/tuff car. What colour is it? Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
silver vhArchived member
VS will have ISS fitted to it. VR's never did.
0 likes
PROGMHArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by NZ EVLHSV Stroker motor and 6 speed makes them a lot more than just a souped up clubby hmmm, nope, no it doesnt. They're hot and I want one but value for money they're way over priced generally. I mean most people are asking $15k for one! Are you serious, you can jump ahead to a way newer model with a Gen III and a 6 speed for that. You can get a clubby for half the price - yes less options but they look the same and sound the same. I'd love one but finding something thats good value is hard as most owners seem to think they're classic collectables.
0 likes
[SLY.747]Archived member
^^ agreed on this, im considering buying one when my car & ski sell, but to be honest the price of some of them with high km's and in not the best condition is ridiculous, its just as easy to jump up to a later model 5.7 6 speed with around 100k on the clock if u look in the right places for the same price as some are asking for clapped out vr/vs's with over 200km's. the only one you will catch me paying anything over 10k for would be a cherry black vs gts 6spd with sunroof, hard to find but they are out there, still overpriced in my opinion most of them but id pay it for one of them!
0 likes
NZ EVLHSVArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by PROGMH hmmm, nope, no it doesnt. They're hot and I want one but value for money they're way over priced generally. I mean most people are asking $15k for one! Are you serious, you can jump ahead to a way newer model with a Gen III and a 6 speed for that. You can get a clubby for half the price - yes less options but they look the same and sound the same. I'd love one but finding something thats good value is hard as most owners seem to think they're classic collectables. Yep I would agree with that. I wouldn't buy one for $15k as a daily as you can get much newer, but as a collectors car to drive in the weekends I'd happily pay $15k for a cherry black VS GTS. I wouldn't be happy driving a stock one though, 215kw isn't enough these days for a weekender
0 likes
vp_ssArchived member
i myself would pay up to 15k for a good condition vs gts or 215 senator. Having owned both a 215 senator and a vx ss i can tell you the senator was a much better car to drive. The ss felt heavy as the senator drove alot better and felt alot more responsive. I hope to get myself back into one later in in the year.
0 likes
blownhsvArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by silver vh VS will have ISS fitted to it. VR's never did. 1/2 right in that answer. Its the VS Series 2 has ISS, the series 1 doesnt. I have both the VR and VS and the build quality is much the same. The Grille in the VS is much nicer, but u can buy them straight from a Holden Dealer for $62 like i did with my VR Senator. This gives it an agressive front look with the deeper Grille. Bumpers, side skirts, wing are identical. Interior is also the same except for trim fabric and instrument cluster (VS has 250km speedo)
0 likes
silver vhArchived member
Ahh yes, you are right, my bad. The series 2 also had radio controls on the steering wheel didn't they? I have a '97 VS series 2 Senator and think its a nice car. Leather, sunroof but sadly only the 185i and auto. I've tossed up thinking if I should sell it or not, but for a car that originally cost 70k to be essentially worth the same as a VS Commodore, makes me think twice if I should.
0 likes
PROGMHArchived member
What about the different rear wings that I have seen? Some have this horrible standard berlina looking thing whereas some clubbys, senators and GTS I've seen have this larger aggressive one.
0 likes
dvsgmhArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by HSVRIP Clubsports don't have Devenish seats or big brakes either. Sounds like a good buy to me. MINE HAS FULL LEATHER DEVINISH TRIM FROM FACTORY! Quote: Originally Posted by silver vh VS will have ISS fitted to it. VR's never did. IF YOU MEAN IRS? MINES VR AND HAS IRS FROM FACTORY
0 likes
silver vhArchived member
ISS Its HSV's Intergrated Security System. Annoying as all **** as before you start the car you have to use a red key to "disarm" it. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 0 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today5

15,726 threads, 148,597 posts and 1,714 images saved from CT

45.9% of indexed threads saved