Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

What is wrong?

Started by hueske vbmenu_register("postmenu_2257293", true); · 14 Aug 2009 · 6 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

Hey Guys, Finished my turbo conversion and car isn't running properly. The car idles fine, possibly a little high, but when I drive it and put the foot down, the turbo spools up quickly, but the engine bogs down and the car barely goes anywhere.. I can only drive the car on the tiniest bit of throttle, at around 30km/h. I have a new TPS and thought maybe it isn't calibrated properly yet, but unplugged the thing and made no difference. I am possibly thinking vacuum leak, which could account for both the bad driving and slightly high idle, but wondering if there are any other possibilities?? Cheers Hugh
0 likes
There could be a boost leak somewhere, check all your piping and hoseclamps and make sure no pipes have blown off the plenum. you need to give a bit more info about your setup, are you running turbo injectors and ecu? If its running rich it would be blowing black smoke aswell have a look for that.
0 likes
Blown head gasket.
0 likes
blown head gasket^^^???? are u running turbo injectors and a turbo ecu? whats the timing set to? was the car running fine b4 u did the conversion?? have u done a compression test on it?? we need more info on the setup mate.. exactly what u have done. did u put a decom plate? or change the head etc etc..
0 likes
Sorry man...Nah still high comp...running turbo injectors and turbo ecu, does smell a little rich...I've had a bit of trouble with the timing..I've installed the dizzy a couple of times with the rotor button lined up and completely horizontal, pointing at the radiator, but when I put a timing light on it, it says the car is 10 degrees advanced, which is where I want it, but the dizzy is fully advanced at the adjuster bolt, whereas I think, it should closer to in the middle of the adjustment slot.. Car was fine before the conversion, although, that was a while ago..It's been a slow project as I haven't had much time and have done a lot more to the car apart from just the turbo conversion... To me, it doesn't sound at all like a head gasket, but others may know different, I'm no expert..
0 likes
that cant be right! u cant have 10deg of timing when the dizzy is fully advanced... id be gettn that checkd first thing. sounds like u have set the timing wrong if u get it looked at and thats still not the problem, try the next thing, but do it 1 thing at a time. as its easyr to find the problem.
0 likes
sounds like you have the dizzy a tooth out
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 1 guest active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today29

19,680 threads, 224,843 posts and 2,404 images saved from CT

57.5% of indexed threads saved