Back to shop ↗
THE HOLDEN COMMODORE FORUM

HOLDCOM Community

Built around the cars. Kept alive by the people.

+ Start a discussion
Holden Commodores gathered at Holdcom
Forum Home›Technical help
Technical help

Early LS1 Problems?

Started by Antranik · 27 Aug 2008 · 28 replies

Preserved from CalaisTurbo. Original authors and dates are shown; archived members are not current Holdcom accounts. View original archive ↗

AntranikArchived member
Hey guy's, I want to buy a LS1 and the only thing reachable for me at the moment, that I like, is a VX Calais. However I heard the early LS1's had problems. The main one being excess oil burning - Holden's diagnostics's - Use thicker oil. Is this true? Can someone explain more? Any other common problems? Also don't tell me to ask ls1 forums because I can't be stuffed singing up and theres too many Yeti's there lol Cheers. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
PSI-EFIArchived member
i heard that on the first ls1's they forgot to put one of the piston rings and thats why it burns allot of oil.. my cousins vt s2 ****ed up, the thing ceased up.. had something to do with the rings i think and the oil pump was gone.. now he put a vx ls1 in it
0 likes
88_vl_bt1Archived member
the problem with the early ls1 motors is caused due to the teflon coated pistons, the teflon wears away allowing oil to pass the compression ring and be burnt. as far as i know vx commodores wern't effected as badly as the vt2 due to a revised piston. also listen for a noise that sounds like tappets during the first 5-10 seconds after a cold start this is one of the tell tale signs of piston slap. hope this helps.
0 likes
PROGMHArchived member
^^Correct. As much as everyone keeps saying that only VT's were affected, I had a few mates with VY's that had severe piston slap. Didnt use oil, but tapped thier heads off on cold starts.
0 likes
AntranikArchived member
So even VY's are affected? My brother-inlaw has his own diagnostic's computer, you plug it in and reads every code in the car and tells you anything wrong with it, but its not going to tell us 'teflon wear' know what I mean. So don't really need to 'look' for problems, just want to know problems. So safe bet is - know matter which LS1 I buy - change pistons and rings I guess?
0 likes
VLDooDArchived member
thats a common thing piston slap, not to be scared of from buying an ls1, as a holden mechanic hear this **** all the time, we have got one that comes in does 3 hr drive 2 times a week, has 380k on the clock, and the motor is in tip top shape, apart from leaking oil from rear main, some ls2 in the vz have piston slap, but not as much as a ls1, due to revised pistons/rods. i have a vt series 3 ss, gen 3, and its a great car, and great motor. ls1 is a very good motor, with very cheap and easy power upgrades to get it moving.
0 likes
cwreckArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by Antranik So even VY's are affected? My brother-inlaw has his own diagnostic's computer, you plug it in and reads every code in the car and tells you anything wrong with it, but its not going to tell us 'teflon wear' know what I mean. So don't really need to 'look' for problems, just want to know problems. So safe bet is - know matter which LS1 I buy - change pistons and rings I guess? My vy engine makes a lot of noise- i check for comp and oil useage from time to time- no problems- if u that worried about the vt engines-stay away- like people have mention before some get it and some don't- what do u do- pull the engine down before u buy it? i think not- my 2 cents- Thanks NICK--
0 likes
ANKArchived member
i worked at holden when all the car where coming in they all copped new pistons
0 likes
PROGMHArchived member
If it were me, I would be weary, but not scared off. Make sure you do your research into the car you are purchasing. Theres MANY perfect examples out there that dont have issues. Remember its nearly 10 years ago they got released, if they were going to have issues then theyve had them a long time ago.
0 likes
88_vl_bt1Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by PROGMH If it were me, I would be weary, but not scared off. Make sure you do your research into the car you are purchasing. Theres MANY perfect examples out there that dont have issues. Remember its nearly 10 years ago they got released, if they were going to have issues then theyve had them a long time ago. thats right mate, when i was working at holden we had so many vt series 2 and eairly vx series 1,5.7engines come thru for warranty claims reguarding oil usage and piston slap issues. all were fitted with the rivised pistons and had the cylinder blocks re-honed ect... make sure it has all paperwork comfirming service history/ recalls ect and it should be ok. at the end of the day they are a great motor and make quite good power with little mods, edit, mafless tune and exhaust should see good numbers. best of luck with your search mate.
0 likes
aus880Archived member
don't be scared off, they are a great engine
0 likes
EAT-30TArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by aus880 don't be scared off, they are a great engine Better than an RB Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
aus880Archived member
Quote: Originally Posted by EAT-30T Better than an RB the LS1's i've known of that had probs were all manuals, and had been thrashed cops in NSW run all SS autos and i've never heard of one of them having the problem Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
AntranikArchived member
Cheers boys. Now I just have to decided what I want lol. VX Calais VY SS VZ SS/Calais Seeing this makes me want a VX. Lowered. Sig's. Tinted Headlights. Super sex. VY Calais just don't cut it for me, don't know why, but my neighbor has a Black SS, SSSL, De-Badged one, makes me want one lol. And a chick at work has a VZ Calais looks hot, and so do the SS' Opinions? Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
AlmightyVLArchived member
I'd go the calais over the ss'. More luxury features for only about 30-50kg heavier. I've got a white vx calais ls1 i bought from sydney. I had a vt ss ls1 6spd and I prefer my calais so much more. If the car does regular servicing at one particular dealer give them a call and you can get the history of the car ie engine rebuild, diff rebuild etc. It's worth the phone call.
0 likes
SHIZNTArchived member
They also put a sticker with a code in the drivers door with a recall number if the pistons have been replaced.. Also you can press buttons on the speed warning and it will show error codes i belive..
0 likes
AntranikArchived member
Quote: Originally Posted by AlmightyVL I'd go the calais over the ss'. More luxury features for only about 30-50kg heavier. I've got a white vx calais ls1 i bought from sydney. I had a vt ss ls1 6spd and I prefer my calais so much more. If the car does regular servicing at one particular dealer give them a call and you can get the history of the car ie engine rebuild, diff rebuild etc. It's worth the phone call. Got pic's of the VX mate? Quote: Originally Posted by SHIZNT They also put a sticker with a code in the drivers door with a recall number if the pistons have been replaced.. Also you can press buttons on the speed warning and it will show error codes i belive.. Thats interesting dude, anyone else heard of this? Anyone got the sticker and can take a pic?
0 likes
AlmightyVLArchived member
Mine's just stock looking with twin 3inch x force exhaust and a k&n air charger (came on the car). I'm planning on keeping it looking stock as I'm putting a turbo on it shortly, prefer the sorta sleeper look. I knwo the mode button shows codes, digital speed, police mode, etc in the dash windows. Didn't know about the sticker but both my ls1's never had piston slap or had an engine rebuild. It's pretty boring looking but I prefer it, I'm getting rid of all the badges aswell and putting in some eibach lows to about fe2 height. Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
SII_TurboArchived member
just buy a VY senator! Some original photos have not been recovered yet.
0 likes
PSI-EFIArchived member
i love the black vy-vz calais or ss slammed on their ass on cepters.. but many people then say, how can you justify spending soo much on a new car and just to have it on cepters.. if it was me i'd go a vy calais..
0 likes
Sign in or create an account to reply. New members are welcome—no purchase or old CT account needed.

Who’s online

0 members and 0 guests active in the last 15 minutes

No signed-in members active right now. Guests are welcome to browse.

Visitors Today31

20,451 threads, 240,738 posts and 2,526 images saved from CT

59.7% of indexed threads saved